X pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; I read them all & WOW some nice stuff! Some where out on the internet Magna flow has a 30 minute video describing the advantages & dis advantages of the "H & X" pipes, Also true duals. It will answer all your questions. I elected to go with true duals, less cost, easer maintenance, less weight & old time sound. Ridge mount behind the x member & removable section at the header flange. Open headers, no wiggly exhaust system when your out on the track! Ole' Bob.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 219
Reactions: 2 users

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Crossover pipes increase low end torque. It's a difference you can feel. Only a nominal difference between X or H. An H pipe gives more of a traditional sound and an X pipe more exotic sounding.

Like others have mentioned, V band clamps make R&R much easier. I completely welded my exhaust system together and the V band clamps are behind the mufflers. My mufflers are long case Super Hemi Turbos.

My X pipe is in the way of nothing and is easy to R&R if I ever had to remove the transmission. I have no problem removing the driveshaft without touching the exhaust pipes at all.

Undo the V-Band clamps, hangers in front of the mufflers, header collectors and the entire exhaust system lowers down:

IMG_4079.JPG

My jack is positioned at the balance point and raises or lowers the system easily.

IMG_40371.JPG

IMG_40051.JPG

IMG_4013.JPG

IMG_40461.JPG

IMG_40431.JPG

Did not cut my ground clearance at all:

IMG_4081.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

CMCE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2019
Crossover pipes increase low end torque. It's a difference you can feel. Only a nominal difference between X or H. An H pipe gives more of a traditional sound and an X pipe more exotic sounding.

Like others have mentioned, V band clamps make R&R much easier. I completely welded my exhaust system together and the V band clamps are behind the mufflers. My mufflers are long case Super Hemi Turbos.

My X pipe is in the way of nothing and is easy to R&R if I ever had to remove the transmission. I have no problem removing the driveshaft without touching the exhaust pipes at all.

Undo the V-Band clamps, hangers in front of the mufflers, header collectors and the entire exhaust system lowers down:

IMG_4079.JPG

My jack is positioned at the balance point and raises or lowers the system easily.

IMG_40371.JPG

IMG_40051.JPG

IMG_4013.JPG

IMG_40461.JPG

IMG_40431.JPG

Did not cut my ground clearance at all:

IMG_4081.JPG
Roger1,
That is a very nice, clean installation. Please tell me your opinion of the Super Turbo mufflers. From the pictures they appear to be the 20" version correct?

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Roger1,
That is a very nice, clean installation. Please tell me your opinion of the Super Turbo mufflers. From the pictures they appear to be the 20" version correct?
Thanks.
Yes that's right. Here's what I've got:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17748
Just enough room on my El Camino to fit these in and get them up high.

I really like these mufflers. I have them on my 55 Belair too. I don't like my cars noisy and these are just right. Not too loud but not too quiet either. No drone on either of the cars. I'm running an H pipe on my Belair.

Here's a few videos for you on both cars:

Belair:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor