Yet another exhaust question-straight or X pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
You have cats on so flow is limited, so H or X isn't so much and issue, your not street and stripping it, so again not and issue. So tone? H-pipe sounds more like true duels, as exhaust doesn't like to turn corners and only does when back pressure is the easiest route. X-pipe flow better when you got your foot into it because of pipe angles, tone is less of a pop pop and smoother.

If you are running 2 cats l'd just go with true duels, but that's me. I have 1 of each of the systems and don't really have a preference.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I will be using cats, haven't got them yet. I'm getting parts for the next phase for getting teh frame finished. Those will be alittle better flowing than a stock/universal parts store one. I never thought of what possible flow restrictions that the cats could have. Now something that I have yet to come across is if the perks from an X pipe would be offset by the cats.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I will be using cats, haven't got them yet. I'm getting parts for the next phase for getting teh frame finished. Those will be alittle better flowing than a stock/universal parts store one. I never thought of what possible flow restrictions that the cats could have. Now something that I have yet to come across is if the perks from an X pipe would be offset by the cats.

Well you are running a high compression engine so you do need some back pressure.

Depending on the type of cats and mufflers will determine flow # an ofcourse your driving. Less restrictive cats and mufflers will help and a X-pipe will tone it down.

I have true duals on my olds and low restriction cats and mufflers and it pops like a Harley. My Monte has X-pipe, good street car, smooth tone with same cats and mufflers.Camaro has H-pipe with same exhaust and sounds alittle like duals, has a bark when you put your foot into it.

I run honeycomb cats with glass packs on everything.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I've been trolling Ebay looking at spun type "performance" cats (if cheap enough I'll gut them, I have a visual inspection), Summit uses turbo mufflers, Pypes uses chambered. If going with the Summit I might get a set of chambered mufflers as those are what I would like to use.

Reactions: 1 users

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
I have multiple different vehicles with H or X-pipes. For sound, the H-pipe is my preference; for performance, the X-pipe is my preference. I personally wouldn't use straight pipes on any of my vehicles.

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
For what it's worth, I run the pipes system and agree with the others. No performance gain, if anything a slight loss. Don't know about economy being a track car. Going back to duals this winter. Quick vid when we were playing with starting line RPM, this one is from idle - I notice the next vid was from in the car.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I can tell you my shorty headers, custom dual 2.5" system with a compact X pipe system with Aerochamber mufflers sounded amazing on my 88. I moved it over to my 70 Cutlass, too loud and not the same tone at all.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
X-pipe on the wagon and the TBSS.

I would recommend the Pypes system but be prepare to make some of it work. Get the RacePros if you aren't going to run cats, the Violators would be really loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor