Yet another exhaust question-straight or X pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Pulled the trigger on the Pypes SGG12S. Now the budget is a bit lighter in the wallet. Thanks for the input to all.

Reactions: 1 user

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
... seeing that almost all of you guys are for the X pipe.

For maximum torque and power production, that's the best way to go. Yes, an x-pipe will cost a few bucks more than no crossover. Still, for an extra 5-8 lb ft throughout the rev range, it is a good investment.

Now let me share one final thought. As Engine Masters has shown on a moderate output engine, a 2.5" exhaust system with excellent mufflers (read: Magnaflows) will make more power than a 3" system with cheap (read: crap) mufflers. If you're on a budget and want to keep the noise level down a bit, installing a 2.5" x-pipe system with excellent mufflers will help you reach your goals without sacrificing your engine's power output.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
OK, after racking my brain on this, rereading post, listing to the video clips, reading the articles & seeing that almost all of you guys are for the X pipe. One thing that I've also been thinking about is will the X pipe add extra work if I gotta pull the transmission down the road to replace the clutch.

Now you're the only one who seemed to go in the opposite direction by going X to straight. Was it an issue of just kipping it simple?
From being used to older hot rodding mods the straight pipes are what I'm used to with instalation & sound. The only perk I could see is having each bank being seperate for being able to tell which side might have an issue but an X would be simular to stock single cat/dual tail pipes or single set up. The final think would be being a cheapskate looking at a $26 differance then as I posted earlier replacing what Summit supplies with something different. I know I'm running out of time before I'm paying more regardless. I hate being stubborn.
That was about 7 years ago. I thought straight pipes would sound better and perform better. That was before I was good at using google. Im currently in the process of putting an X pipe in my aerocoupe because I prefer the deeper sound and I could use the 2 hp gain lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor