BUILD THREAD You know she's a keeper when...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
You could donate the Pontiac and likely write off enough to make some profit.
My wife has always driven the "new car" at our house.
My daily driver is a '97 F-150 with the gas hog 5.4 option. Well, "daily driver" until the gas went
up so high.
The wife told me to go get something else to drive/ That's when I drug home the Monte Carlo roller.
I doubt that she was surprised. I wouldn't buy a stock that I knew would drop 30% overnight. Just
like a new car.
There is one of my favorite /cheap-Charlie mobiles sitting a few blocks from me. A purple Geo Metro.
Love those little things: a one liter three cylinder that looks a lot like an LS motor inside, oil
pump on the crank snout, etc.. Best GM gas sipper since the Chevette. I've been watching, hoping
to catch the guy outside and talk to him about it.
It's either get the Geo or sit the 383 aside and put a straight six in the Monte Carlo. Love Chevy 6s, to.
We raced them in a front engine dragster in ancient times. (1970s)
I think I will be keeping the Pontiac for a while. Doing the work to make it run brings me as much happiness as driving the finished product, plus the finished product will probably be fairly nice.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I managed to get the Y-pipe and catalytic converter installed, and it hangs down too low to use without modifications. IMG_20180330_212805.jpg IMG_20180330_212728.jpg

There is about 6 inches or so of ground clearance and it drags a lot on gravel roads. It will probably go to the exhaust shop and get tucked up higher at some point. On a better note, the catalytic converter fits perfectly under the cross member.

I also changed the choke over from a hot air choke to an electric choke. Without a choke stove in the manifold, I was trying to pull heat off of the heater hose to run it and it took way too long to actually kick open. Luckily the E2ME provided the electric donor for free.

Also got an oil and filter change done.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Line it up ! 3.8 vs 4.3=race of the century as long as somebody brings,a FWD Buick....
The bad part is when the Buick smokes both of us.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
That radio on the left uses the same CD drive as the slave unit for '95-'96 C/K trucks. I've been looking for a good one for my radio like it.
You wouldn't have more information on these radios, would ya? I can get those slave CD units fairly easily, but there is almost no information on this specific radio that I have found. The only thing that I have came across is repair services, that cost $150 to fix this thing.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
glad to hear you've got to drive it, even just a little! also glad to hear about the power level, especially since I've got a 3:42 in the Regal, and a 3:73 waiting to go into something. wish I still had my old '99 regal (I still have it's original engine on a stand), so I could be that 3rd car in the race!

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
glad to hear you've got to drive it, even just a little! also glad to hear about the power level, especially since I've got a 3:42 in the Regal, and a 3:73 waiting to go into something. wish I still had my old '99 regal (I still have it's original engine on a stand), so I could be that 3rd car in the race!
At this rate, I think it would be Figure 8, Enduro-style for stress relief.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
You wouldn't have more information on these radios, would ya? I can get those slave CD units fairly easily, but there is almost no information on this specific radio that I have found. The only thing that I have came across is repair services, that cost $150 to fix this thing.
I dove right in taking mine aparts to see if I could swap out a drive from another radio, then opened up the old slave drive from my old '96 K1500. The p/n & internal plug end all match but each drive unit didn't work. I've been trolling Ebay trying to find a good deal but that older slave unit & haven't had any luck.

Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I spent the day with the daughters, so I only got a couple of hours to work on the Bonneville but I did get some stuff done. I adjusted the shift linkage, so the gear indicator actually lined up with the correct gear. It is amazing how much easier that job is when your adjuster bolt is not a completely frozen pile of rust.

I also got my cruise control hooked up and hopefully working, but it was a bit of a chore. My bracket had the wrong size hole for this particular cruise cable, so I had to cut a new smaller square hole beside the throttle cable.
IMG_20180402_002116.jpg

After a good bit of whittling with a dremel and a cut off wheel, I ended up with a hole close enough for the cable to lock into.
IMG_20180402_011107.jpg

At this point, I was not exactly sure how to attach the cable to the throttle arm. The pin is only wide enough for one of the cables, and is not removable without destroying it. I ended up finding another pin mount on the E2ME on the old engine that was extended so the cables would not interfere with each other. I drilled a hole higher up on the throttle arm and bolted it on. The cruise cable clipped right on and everything seems like it will work together.
IMG_20180402_012032.jpg

I have a little adjustment at the diaphragm end, but won't be able to test it out until the exhaust is fixed.

My to do list is getting shorter by the day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor