BUILD THREAD You know she's a keeper when...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Syclone/Typhoon......................
Holy hell are those parts expensive though. If I really wanted to make this into a fast car, a ROTSUNesque build might be in order. Or just do what the S-10 guys do and get a Wynjammer kit. They are a little pricey though.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Got my upper hose installed and the engine refilled with antifreeze. It actually fits rather well but it is pretty close to the A/C bypass pulley. Zipties to the rescue, but it will have to be dealt with before a compressor is installed.
IMG_20180327_020420.jpg IMG_20180327_020433.jpg

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I think that air filter might be a little small even for a 4.3. I'm winning the race until you change that!
Yeah, it is rather unimpressive. I have a feeling that I will be custom making something to fit that little space before it is said and done. I have been eyeing some pie pans at Walmart...

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Good news today. The person that I bought the donor truck from found the Y-pipe and catalytic converter that came off of the truck. I am hoping that it will slip right on and give me a nice flange to attach the old exhaust system to.

Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
So, I braved the rain today and absolutely killed it on parts for the Bonneville. I got a couple of choices for a better radio, a cable driven vacuum servo that I can remote mount, and the A/C compressor and hoses.

IMG_20180329_185506.jpg

I haven't decided which radio I want to use yet. The one on the left has a green display, and the radio parts works fine but the CD Player is not working (common on this model, couldn't check at yard). The one on the right is fully functional but has the red/orange display. I have the correct knob installed on it now. Honestly, the one on the left looks like it belongs in there more...

IMG_20180329_185633.jpg IMG_20180329_185640.jpg

One of the odder things that I seen in my short time in the yard, was a pristine looking '93 Z34 Lumina Euro that had 294,000 miles on it. It had the 3400 DOHC engine in it, and apparently got junked because the transmission finally died. Somebody must have been absolutely religous with maintenance to keep that engine going that long.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I haven't decided which radio I want to use yet. The one on the left has a green display, and the radio parts works fine but the CD Player is not working (common on this model, couldn't check at yard). The one on the right is fully functional but has the red/orange display. I have the correct knob installed on it now. Honestly, the one on the left looks like it belongs in there more...
That radio on the left uses the same CD drive as the slave unit for '95-'96 C/K trucks. I've been looking for a good one for my radio like it.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I got the A/C compressor installed and even though the belt is for an A/C truck, it was very tight. The tensioner only had about 1/4 inch of travel from fully compressed, and I had to turn the crankshaft pulley to "run" the belt on. It came with an extra connector in the back of the compressor body, that I am guessing is for oil level. The hoses that go from the compressor to the condenser and drier from the S-10 did not end up fitting. The condensor side fit correctly but the fitting to the drier would not thread on past about 3 threads. I am guessing that the thread pattern has changed slightly over the years. I am guessing an '85 full size truck would have the right thread pattern and long enough hoses to reach the passenger side hookups, but may be a few days before I can get a hold of one.

IMG_20180329_235802.jpg IMG_20180329_210523.jpg
I also managed to get the cruise control servo installed, although the cable end is going to be a decent amount of work to get attached to that bracket. There is a hole for that purpose on the top of the bracket, but it is too big for the cable that came with it. The length of this cable is pretty good, so I will probably take the throttle bracket off and cut a hole lower down to accept the mount.

IMG_20180329_235613.jpg IMG_20180329_235623.jpg IMG_20180329_235648.jpg IMG_20180329_235633.jpg

For now I may install the Pontiac radio, as they are pretty easy to modify to add an AUX IN to.

Sid R

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2018
You could donate the Pontiac and likely write off enough to make some profit.
My wife has always driven the "new car" at our house.
My daily driver is a '97 F-150 with the gas hog 5.4 option. Well, "daily driver" until the gas went
up so high.
The wife told me to go get something else to drive/ That's when I drug home the Monte Carlo roller.
I doubt that she was surprised. I wouldn't buy a stock that I knew would drop 30% overnight. Just
like a new car.
There is one of my favorite /cheap-Charlie mobiles sitting a few blocks from me. A purple Geo Metro.
Love those little things: a one liter three cylinder that looks a lot like an LS motor inside, oil
pump on the crank snout, etc.. Best GM gas sipper since the Chevette. I've been watching, hoping
to catch the guy outside and talk to him about it.
It's either get the Geo or sit the 383 aside and put a straight six in the Monte Carlo. Love Chevy 6s, to.
We raced them in a front engine dragster in ancient times. (1970s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor