Your car *WILL* get stolen!

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Doober said:
Good points.

Someone tried to steal my '81 Malibu while I was at work in Flint, MI back in '06. The only thing I'd done was unplug the ignition coil, so he was a)in too much of a hurry, b)skittish, or c)too stupid to realize what was done. He didn't get the car. He'd jimmied the lock, I found out the following summer that as worn as a lot of these cars are, you can push the window in a little bit and you can fit just about anything down in the door... I used a tire iron because I'd locked my keys in the car, and I didn't break anything (yes, there's that much room). So part of my to-do plan is some sort of shield in the door shell so they can't simply jimmy the lock, and if anything they'll have to break the window to get in.

Something else you can do is build a latching relay and wire it to the power side of the ignition switch, not power to the coil itself. When it's wired this way it will require the key to be on, then you press the designated switch (you could use anything that has constant 12v to it) it provides power to the ignition. Then, after you turn the key off, it automatically breaks power to the switch. This way, even if they get into the car, break the column, disable the alarm, etc. etc., they still won't be able to start the car because there isn't power to the ignition switch itself. I was able to find a good diagram a while back, but I may have to build my own to show what I mean.

A power switch, for the ignition switch, which turns off when the car is shut off. A great suggestion Doober. It would work. The switch would have to be well hidden though.

I'm interested in a hidden switch, without having to switch off the starter or fuel pump. Why? Because I want to be able to remote start the car. The 555 big block is damn loud. I want to be able to remote start it and scare the shyt out of bystanders! But at the same time, if a thief gets in it, he should still not be able to drive off with the car. Anyone have any ideas?

Permanent line lock, on be default? Feasible? I'd like to know if there is a way to shut off the fuel pump if the brakes are pressed, unless I activate a hidden safety switch, if that makes sense.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
The switch in question would be one that's already in the car (read on 8))

In short, this was basically what I had in mind when I was talking about a latching relay. They make smaller PCB-mount types, but they way shown here you can use a standard SPDT relay.
latchingrelay.jpg

SW1 is the trigger, IGN is the ignition switch, R is everything that runs off the ignition switch, and SW2 is a kill switch that you can hit (although it's optional of course)... say someone tries to carjack you, you can hit that switch and it disables power to the car. Even if they hit it again they can't get the car started back up.

Like I said, SW1 can be anything that runs off constant 12v... horn button, headlight switch or brake lights (I wouldn't recommend either of these though because they're something you'd use on a regular basis when starting a car), power mirror buttons, cigarette lighter plug, etc. (replace ground with the leg between SW1 and IGN). Then, when you turn off the ignition, the relay is turned off, and to even turn the car back on you both a)have to have the ignition in at least the "ON" position, and b)have to press the trigger switch, whatever it may be.
*edit*
Or even better... instead of said 'hidden' switch you could place a magnetic reed switch in a location only YOU know, and unless you had the magnet to trigger it, the car would be unstartable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_switch

On the other hand, you may need to have the car serviced, and they won't let you drive the car into the bay or whatever, or you're leaving the car somewhere it may need to be moved & you won't be around. If you think this will ever be the case, you could wire in a keyed switch (removable key) somewhere that only you know about (i.e. behind an ashtray, way up under the dash, etc.), that will bypass this and allow the car to be started normally.

=======================================================
Another anti-theft option parallels to this one.

Using another N/O switch (this doesn't need constant 12v, just a switched source) that would be considered original equipment, connect the resistance/load side to another relay for the starter. This would be wired up almost the same as a starter kill relay for an alarm, except instead of terminal 87a you would use terminal 87. Wired this way, the only way the starter will engage is when you're pressing this button.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Also, far as wiring a remote starter, that shouldn't be an issue, you would just tap into power at the fuse box (before this entire setup), and your ignition, accessory, and starter wires would all be wired after, so it bypasses this setup completely. As a bonus, after the car is started with the remote starter, when you insert the key & turn on the ignition you shouldn't need to press your hidden trigger button, as the relay will already have power from the remote starter circuit.

Something I plan on wiring in with the next remote starter I install (likely in the Malibu), is an anti-grind circuit. Another relay yet will be installed inline with the starter circuit, and once the car is running from the remote starter, you won't be able to accidentally grind the starter when the car is running.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Wow! That's awesome! And your second answer to my last question (which came in while I was typing my replay lol so I started all over).
That's exactly what I need to know! :D Thanks a lot bro!

I will be installing the Viper 5902, it's pretty freakin' cool (check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3fwrea4dB0)

By the way, my engine is fuel injected, so remote start will work (carburated engines can't be remote started, or rather, it's not really a good idea to do).

Also the viper system does have an anti-grind component. I will be printing out your information when I get this stuff done!! :D :mrgreen:

[email protected]

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Wisconsin
boot.jpg

I don't mean to get off track on all this interesting wiring possibilities, but I thought I would also add that I have heard of people buying old parking boots from city auctions and using them for personal theft protection, I hear you basically need one of the gas powered concrete saws with a carbide blade to cut them off. Of course this Idea is just another line of defense that should be used in conjunction with alarms or other security devices.

Yea, I think you'd hear this guy going to town on your car:
angle2.jpg

This Guy made news in London, he's a self proclaimed "super hero" freeing society from the clutches of the parking police. :rofl:

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

[email protected]

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Wisconsin
As for the boot...I think they made them a hell of a lot tougher 10+ years ago. Back then it seems like they were much more bulky and heavy. These newer ones leave much to be desired from a personal investment perspective. But yea, the idea does suggest added security, and they are relatively affordable.

Here in Wisconsin, I have never seen a boot, at least not in my city. But, they may have them down in Milwaukee or Madison.

Kinda reminds of a movie segment(though I can't remember what movie), but the guy is in like NY or LA, he parks his car then puts on the boot, he proceeds into the apartment, and as he does a parking cop rolls right past thinking it's theirs. (it was an 80's flick...for some reason I'm envisioning Eddie Murphy as the guy doing it.)

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Don't want to be at risk of car theft? Simple solution...

Don't drive your car anywhere, don't talk about your car, and don't share photos of it on the internet. Keep it under lock and key, so nobody even knows it exists. Don't even leave the garage door open with the car visible from the street, as any passerby could be a potential thief.
In the mean time, you can rule out any enjoyment out of the car, as it sits and collects dust.

No thanks.

If they want your car, they will take it. Period.
Be smart, and don't leave it unattended in any area you deem as unsafe for the car. Your judgement is key here.

Last summer I was out for a cruise in my 442 (which was stolen and recovered prior to me buying it), and some friends called me wanting to meet up at a bar in the Uptown neighborhood of Minneapolis, a crowded area of bars and shops just south-west of downtown, which I just so happened to be driving through at that same time on my way home.

Friend- "come meet us at the bar"
Me- "sorry, gotta take the Olds home"
Friend- "what for?"
Me- "that car doesn't sit parked in the street unattended, that's why"
Friend- "it'll be fine"
Me- "not a risk I'm willing to take"
Friend- "don't be so paranoid"
Me- "you don't get it... I'll meet you guys later"

I then drove right past the bar where my friends were and drove 15 miles home, parked the car in my secure garage, hopped in my beater, and drove back to enjoy the rest of my evening, stress free, not having to constantly worry about the well-being of my pride and joy.

The bottom line is, that your only line of defense is to:
1. Use your head.
2. Have your car properly appraised, and insured.

Reactions: 1 user

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
not that any of our cars here have points ignition,but you could take the coil wire off.How many thieves do you know that carry a spare coil wire?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor