Your car *WILL* get stolen!

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Or you can live in a nice neighborhood in the country where this doesn't happen... :)

Good post though as it give me a lot of ideas on how to fix what I was planning.

If you have a car with EFI, just pull the computer and take it with you. ;)

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Minion1186 said:
not that any of our cars here have points ignition,but you could take the coil wire off.How many thieves do you know that carry a spare coil wire?
True, but that wouldn't really work with a DIS.

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
Thankfully, I live in the "safest city in America", so I don't have to worry about that :wink:

My 85 442 has only been a daily driver for one of its 20+ years in existence. In that year I had to leave it in a public parking lot way in the back (so it got no dings). Never though about it getting stolen at the time.

Seriously, though,I do think that were you live slightly has something to do with how safe these cars are. For example, I believe they are really coveted in Florida and also the Chicago area. Areas along the Jersey Turnpike from Philly to NYC also see these cars get stolen often.

My insurance does stipulate that this car now be kept in a locked garage when not in use. I believe that help your odds of not getting stolen considerably. Someone also told me not to get personal plates-it is easier to remember them and look them up. also, after car shows, make sure nobody is following you home.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
This is just an FYI for anyone interested, I added a couple more suggestions at the end of my post (ie. the first post in this thread) such as the steering column lock and VIN etching. I also included links on where to get these. Cheers.

:bump:

powerhungry oxymoron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2009
My anti-theft device is even simpler. My lock cylinders are all broken so you have to use the power locks i installed to unlock the car. The car came with a steel plate in the door attached to the cylinders so you cant stick anything in the door. If they just break the window to get in they still cant steal the car because I have a custom wired electric fuel pump on a hidden switch above the steering colum under the dash and a kill switch I directly wired in the ignition wire behind my glovebox. If you cant find the switch you cant start the car :D . Simple solution to a towtruck is to always turn your front wheels and set your parking brake. Then they cant take it on a lift (flatbed or otherwise) without dragging the rearend which makes enough noise to alert everyone for four blocks.

Camshaft

Master Mechanic
May 27, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
I've got a stupid question, if I install a kill switch and/or a battery cutoff, will LoJack and an alarm system still work?

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Camshaft said:
I've got a stupid question, if I install a kill switch and/or a battery cutoff, will LoJack and an alarm system still work?

Lol it's not a stupid question at all. Of course if you get any alarm system which requires power, it would be wired BEFORE your kill switch so it still receives power. So yes. But everyone will have a different setup:

I have 2 batteries in my engine bay. One goes to the starter and all normal power accessories. My kill switch will kill power from THIS battery.

The other battery goes to the power amps in my trunk for the sound system. My alarm will be wired up from this battery as well. It won't have a kill switch, as it doesn't affect vehicle security, so it will power the alarm system and the battery for the vehicle tracking device.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
powerhungry oxymoron said:
My anti-theft device is even simpler. My lock cylinders are all broken so you have to use the power locks i installed to unlock the car. The car came with a steel plate in the door attached to the cylinders so you cant stick anything in the door. If they just break the window to get in they still cant steal the car because I have a custom wired electric fuel pump on a hidden switch above the steering colum under the dash and a kill switch I directly wired in the ignition wire behind my glovebox. If you cant find the switch you cant start the car :D . Simple solution to a towtruck is to always turn your front wheels and set your parking brake. Then they cant take it on a lift (flatbed or otherwise) without dragging the rearend which makes enough noise to alert everyone for four blocks.
I can find 'em 8)

powerhungry oxymoron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2009
Doober said:
powerhungry oxymoron said:
I can find 'em 8)

Maybe but you'll have to find my car first. :lol: Right now it's locked in my garage with a blown head gasket.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
It's doable... if someone hacks this site they can gain access to the IP address every single user has registered from. From there they can get a closer idea of where you live, then they will know where to look for the car. They may not find it for a while, but they'd know what it looks like. That's why I don't post specifics about what I've done security-wise with any of my vehicles, and you can be sure I've changed more than one thing to stop a would-be thief.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor