ZR2 S10 8.6 rear in a g body build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Okay, so I would be a player on one for an 8.8 to have the correct geometry. I am not afraid to buy axles. I would narrow it to stock or 1/2 to 1 inch wider than stock to be able to use normal 15 inch Corvette style rally wheels and not funky offset stuff.

But, I get that doesn't work for your logic.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Okay, so I would be a player on one for an 8.8 to have the correct geometry. I am not afraid to buy axles. I would narrow it to stock or 1/2 to 1 inch wider than stock to be able to use normal 15 inch Corvette style rally wheels and not funky offset stuff.

If you're adimant about using an 8.8 you could fab up a set of conversion mounts like these.
http://www.bulldawgmusclecars.net/8.8-rear-conversions.html

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

Just curious, are you more interested in the width or running the 8.8? 30 spline axles are available for the 8.6 for like $250 brand new on summit. Just stock replacement axles for the narrow 4wd manual s10's I can't ever find. Just have to cut this axle down like an explorer rear. Just cut the welds on the housing, cut the tubes down 2".

I'm open to narrowing it down for sure.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Lots of gears sets.
Uses 9 inch axles with 31.
Mine will be a spool and for drag race and grudge racing. The 8.8 can pass for a more stock looking rearend....we all have our tricks... and some of the competition has caught on to the 9 inch I had in a previous application with a new 7.5 chrome cover...

Plus, the geometry correction device for the Mustang hasn't worked for me

Jwhite

n00b
Mar 25, 2017
Greenville nc
Yes, the bolts are replaced with grade 8 longer ones. Proof strength on a 5/16 grade 8 bolt is 6300lbs. There are 10 of them. The rear plate can hold 63,000 lbs. GNX's actually used something similar to what I am doing with an aluminum cover. There is nothing of concern on that. I do have more side to side forces than a GNX because I dont have a panhard bar here but the force is still way under what the bolts will hold.

I am thinking about $175 for the plates. Still finalizing it though.
I would love to have one

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
81cutlass - Can you clarify your statement below?...... So do the manual transmission ZR2s have the narrow rear? Or just the Non-ZR2 4.3 manual S10s?

The overall best option is a manual 4.3 4wd 98+ s10 has an 8.5. They do not come in any blazer despite what salvage yards will tell you. Only 4wd s10 4.3 I have verified. I can't find one either, they are stock width within .5 :)

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
81cutlass - Can you clarify your statement below?...... So do the manual transmission ZR2s have the narrow rear? Or just the Non-ZR2 4.3 manual S10s?

Non zr2, manual 4wd 4.3 S10 is reported to have the G body width 58" 8.625

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I actually just dropped some plate off at a cnc plasma shop. I never got the time down on machining the whole thing.

Goal is this summer but I didn't make the goal of last summer I wanted .

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor