ZR2 S10 8.6 rear in a g body build

Status
Not open for further replies.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Would you ever sell a copy of the program to cut out the plate? I'm a CNC machinist and have access to the tools and programming software to fab the part my self. I don't know if you would be comfortable with that?

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You should consider making one for an 8.8 to utilize the readily available Explorer rearends. That would give the correct upper geometry or even raised an inch from stock.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Can the gov lock be replaced with a posi from a different 8.5 rear?.... like from a full size gm truck?
If you want to further bullet-proof your 8.5, order a posi from a 89-up truck - they got 30-spline axles and Moser makes axles shafts for GN upgrades. I found a 10-year-old new -in-box Eaton posi on Craigslist - it dropped in and these axles lines lined up perfectly.

fastSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 13, 2016
yes back in the 70's they used a clutch style

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Would you ever sell a copy of the program to cut out the plate? I'm a CNC machinist and have access to the tools and programming software to fab the part my self. I don't know if you would be comfortable with that?

Not really interested, problem i have there is there is no control over my file once if gets out of my hands. Not saying I don't trust you it's just tough to keep track of it.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
You should consider making one for an 8.8 to utilize the readily available Explorer rearends. That would give the correct upper geometry or even raised an inch from stock.

Problem with the 8.8 is
1. They run 4.5 instead of 4.75 bolt circle
2. They are offset pinion and too wide, have to cut the axle down and get another shorter axle from an identical rear.

And the zr2 8.6 is plentiful, not as much as the 8.8 but quite a few out there.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I was more or less thinking a stock replacement. Did any GM vehicles come with a clutch style 30 spline 8.5?

The 90+ B body rear (mostly cop cars) had the clutch posi, BUT the 8.5 posi rears are a bit tough to find from my findings.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Not really interested, problem i have there is there is no control over my file once if gets out of my hands. Not saying I don't trust you it's just tough to keep track of it.

Yeah I completely understand, you should look at getting your idea pettented before a big corporation sees it and takes it for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor