My "New" Project- 1979 AMC Spirit 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, I am soon going to embark on another project-resurrecting and then selling my 1979 AMC Spirit. It needs an engine and transmission as well as new fuel lines and some body work. Oh, and I also need to clean out all the junk that is in and on it. The current engine is dying due to low oil pressure from a Buick style combination front cover/oil pump. I have a rebuilt engine that has been sitting for about 10 years covered and with all the holes plugged or taped up to keep out moisture and vermin. Anyhow, here are some pictures of the car as it sits in my black hole of a garage.

l_c4328a7975ef4e9eb27c71c3b9227eb8.jpg

l_0ec80c77fc204823a2e1caf0db359bdd.jpg

Yes, the black residue on the carb is from where it caught fire...
l_e4d459cf645949dd946f55ee575449be.jpg

l_671d30ab374b49b5b1be977f084da95f.jpg

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
:popcorn: Ill be watching for your progress!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Thanks. I will post more of the car's specs as time goes on. It is my first car, and I have owned it since early 1989, and I did all the work myself-good or bad. There is a lot that was done to it that I will have to undo in an attempt to simplify it and make it reliable (which it never was!).

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Hahaa,,,those pics remind me of my father's 1980 AMC spirit, he had it for about 15 years or so.That's a big motor for that little of a car, i bet it would move! My friend also had a AMC Javelin with a 390

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, it was slower than you would think. The engine that is in it now has ported heads with 2.08/1.74 valves and a Comp 280 Magnum cam in it (among other things) with a Holley 750. It also lacks posi. Even still, I was hoping it would be faster than a 9.02 in the 1/8. I feel the issue is with the way the heads were reworked and a bunch of mismatch issues with the engine combo. I am hoping the new, milder engine (also an AMC 360) will make it quicker and more reliable than the old one was. I am ditching the Holley blue pump and regulator for a Carter mechanical, and moving the battery back up front. The MSD 6AL will also be going away and replaced with the original Motorcraft Duraspark II control box as it should be plenty for a 8.5:1 compression engine. I am also switching from a Torqueflite 727 to a 904. This is because the Hooker Super Comp headers on the car hit the trans body by the pan and overheat it. Oh, it also has 2.5 in duals with Flowmasters on it, and yes it is wake the dead loud. I don't know if it is because of the short wheelbase or what, but it is about the loudest car with Flowmasters I have ever seen. I remember one time when I was Christmas shopping at Wal Mart, I started it up and it scared an old lady who was loading her car so much that it made her drop her packages... I felt kinda bad, and she gave me the dirtiest look... :twisted:

For wheels, it uses Dodge Diplomat police car wheels painted Chevy Rally wheel silver with AMC center caps and trim rings of unknown origin. The rear suspension uses leaf springs that I built when I was 17, and slapper bars off of my AMC Javelin. Hopefully, I can find a cheap posi for it... or sell the car as is. I am undecided though as to weather or not to paint it before I sell it.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Reminds me of my grandpa's 80 Concord.. :D That thing was a 4 door and had a sagging rear suspension. But it never let my grandpa down and even after he passed away i drove it for about a year and it was a good car.I will follow your progress and good luck!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I painted the engine in AMC Turquoise Blue Metallic today. Unfortunately, I did find some surface rust in the ports when I removed the intake manifold. I also saw a little in the exhaust ports, so I guess some corrosion got in there. I have to wait until the paint dries to turn it though as I want to put the balancer on before I do it. The valley and rockers were clean and free of rust though, so I don't think there should be any real problems. I made sure to take pics, of course, so I will be posting them later on tonight when I get around to the uploads. I also have a pic of the engine I helped put in a neighbor's 73 Camaro that I might post as well.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
looking forward to watching this one come together! keep us updated on it

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
78mali350 said:
looking forward to watching this one come together! keep us updated on it

Will do. It's evolution is set to continue in a few minutes when I finish cooling off from the hot Florida sun. I am hoping to do the engine install next week, and hope to have it running by the end of this month. I still have a ton of stuff to do though, like wiring and fuel lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor