1982 El Camino build *The Fonz*

Status
Not open for further replies.

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx
Well guys My name is Alfonso i just joined the forum but i have been lurking around for a while and love what i see. So i decided that i would start documenting my journey on my 1982 El Camino build. Ive owned the car for about five years, and pretty much just had fun driving it. btw The front end is off of a '79 Malibu. I side swiped a couple years back and hit the rear tire of a parked 18 wheeler and i needed to get it fixed so a friend found the front end for me so i threw it on... but that will change because im going back to '82 header panel. But anyways now im ready to make it look real nice and unique with a couple of tricks up my sleeve to hopefully make it stand out here in good ole Houston, TX. So here's my build 8) ....

btw these pictures are a couple of months old but i'll load more later on tonight of the current progress of where im at:

i had already started to sand down the bed of Elco and removed all of Conquista side trims and ground down all the studs

here i started doing the body work on the bed and many hours of block sanding to get the car laser straight in case i decide to to go with a dark color. I had already done the body work on what seemed like a hundred trim studs.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 2,636
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 2,623
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 2,625

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Re: 1982 El Camino build *New Member The Fonz*

Welcome aboard Fonzie!
Looks like you're making a ton of progress on your Elky. Keep up the good work. 8)

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx

so here i already took off the old hood which had a couple of big rust spots and seemed like to much work to fix. I was fortunate enough to pickup a hood, core support, two fenders all for $50 at junkyard and all in way better condition than these. you can also see i finished the body work on the doors and roof all i need to do is cut out the rusted out spot on the lower part of the door and weld in a new piece.

so i took off the fenders and now i know why my body lines never lined up on the doors and fenders. The core support bent on the driver side... not the side that i wrecked on .... and the core support bushing was rusted all the way through with no rubber even on it. Just a little nub of metal. im also tossing the plastic inner fenders since they were both cracked and broken and i never have liked them. New ones are around $300 but maybe later on ill put some on or make some out of metal ??? but now that i have no plastic inner fenders the next problem is how to mount the battery....

the battery tray mounted to the plastic fenders, and the plastic fenders kinda of sat on the frame and core support... so now i have to come up with a bracket to mount the battery ... heres what i came up with so far.

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,611
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 2,596
  • battery tray mockup.JPG
    battery tray mockup.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 2,599

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Worse case scenario, you can mount the battery in the bed using a marine battery box. A friend of mine did that with his El Camino. He also was not running inner fenders. But I guess it would require having to drill holes in the bed floor to mount the battery box and/ or tray....and of course a longer + lead to the starter.

BTW, you did good buying all those parts for $50.00. If I could only find a good boneyard down here that still has decent G-body parts and cars. :? Looks like I'll have to travel around to find a good yard.

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx

So heres a quick model of how it will mount. The bracket will be able to slide under the core suport and behind the bumper jack the use the same holes the moutnt. There will be a gussett under the bracket to help to support the weight of the battery. Im planning to use 1/16"-1/8" thick sheetmetal so that i can weld it up easily and for it to hold the weight. once i get that done ill weld some nuts to the bottom side so that i can strap the battery down and it wont move.

here's a mock up pattern. i tested it and i still need to do some tweeking to it. i dont know whether to stick with this plan or move the battery to the inside cargo area.... what do you guys think?? would it be easier to just move it.

btw heres a pic of the look im trying to go for. You guys have probably seen the pic of this car. im trying to go for a nice slightly lowered clean look. Take off the chrome bumpers and change them over to roll pans, to kind of update the look a little more. The car will either be Tarnished silver like the new corvettes/staurn vue/trucks with a blacked out grille and accents and with black interior. or Dark Metallic Blue with the polished phantom grille and tan interior with wood grain accents. ..... what's your opinion?

Attachments

• battery bracket descrpiton.JPG
    battery bracket descrpiton.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,577
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 2,574
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 2,583

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx

Jack, i never thought about mounting in the bed... ill add that as my alternate plans just in case lol.... and yeah i scored big time for $50 on everything. This place mainly deals with scrap metal but put cars up for parts to clear it out to bare bones and thats how i got such a good deal. but g-bodies are hard to find here too.... i have been looking for a cowl hood and better windhield ... but still looking :(

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx

Thanks Doug!! .... Thanks PappaBear! ... glad i joined to track my journey.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Fonz,
Frankly I like your battery bracket idea better than mounting the battery in the bed. My friend used his car mostly for track use, so it didn't quite matter where the battery was mounted. Of course I'd fashion it so it could easily be removed when you come across a good pair of inner fenders and battery tray.
I like the pic of the Elky that you posted. If you check out G-body Central. There's a guy Johnnie AKA Nowukno that has a nice El Camino with a full tube grille that sits nice and low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor