1982 El Camino build *The Fonz*

Status
Not open for further replies.

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx
Re: 1982 El Camino build *New Member The Fonz*

so still working hard on the el camino. Currently getting the door jambs ready for paint this week maybe thursday if it doesnt rain. i finally decided on the color and im going silver again with the House Of Kolor Orion Silver. so today ill finish sanding whatever is left on the jams and get it ready to paint.

I also have been sanding down the header panel and a little body work. i had originally planned to go back to the 82 header panel with dual lights but havent found one at my cheap junkyard or craigslist and prices a little to high on Ebay right now. So i decided im going to leave it as is for now or if i have time i might modify the existing panel by filling the side marker pocket and adding in some dual headlights i acquired from a friend of mine. i think i might as well modify it now than later on when its painted and have to redo bodywork and repaint, dont know still thinking about it.

here would be the before

and here would be the after ... i would put some LED turn signal lights behind the grille.

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 1,352
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 1,340

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Fonz,
The later header panel looks good with the larger euro style headlamps. I forgot what GM cars they came on, but they look cool never the less. I'm sure another member will chime in. I think it might have been from an '80's Caprice. iirc.
Also a custom tube grille would look good in the later ('82+) header panels. I almost went with the late header panel, but decided to go with an '81 unit. I have the panel, but need a grille and headlamp doors.

How are you dealing with the extreme temps? It's hot down here, but it hasn't been that extreme. Well, last month we had a few triple digit days, but it broke, fortunately. I got to get back to work on mine, too. :?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

bu*thang said:
could throw a dual headlight monte header on it
=======================================================================================================
Yeah, but you'll also need the fenders and hood to go along with it...

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx

LongRoof, i was thinking exactly that about putting on a custom grille. Ill probably make it into a phantom grill or if stick with the current header panel i might black out the fin portion of the grill and headlight bucket area but leave the outline chrome.

something like this :

decisions, decisions, decisions ....

and it has been HOTTER than hell here in Houston. we have been having nothing but 98+ with index of 107 deg because how humind it is here ... and its been like this for the past three months... and we are having the worst drought in texas history or so the news says lol. another thing ill be working on my car until 9:30 at night and i can be sitting there doing nothing and sweat just dripping everywhere ..... it sucks but oh well if not the car well never get done. i cant something small like the weather get in my way.... so get it on it longroof get to workin lol.... btw i would think in florida it would also be really humid since your pretty much surounded by water.

Attachments

• ref blacked out grille.jpg
    ref blacked out grille.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 2,187

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Fonz,
The '80-'81 header panel doesn't look bad with the mods. I'll be going with an '81 header panel. I always kinda liked the tube grille look. There's a guy here locally selling a Choo-Choo El Camino SS nose panel. I thought about one of those at one point, but they're abit pricey, plus I don't know if I'd get sick of it after awhile. They do give the front an smooth extended look, but it does change the lines of the car somewhat.
I still have to figure out the mirror dilemma. I don't want to go with billet mirrors. I do like small street rod mirrors though.
I'll figure something out. I also like Foxbody Mustang mirrors, but they'd interfere with the glass. :? Gotta put my thinking cap on. But there's time to figure that out.

Yeah man, I feel for you folks in Texas, Oklahoma, etc. The heat and humidity take the joy out of working on anything. It does get humid here, no doubt. That weather system is moving east. Last week we had a decent amount of rain, which helped keep the temps down. This week is going to be hotter.
It's been hot all over the country.

I know what you mean about trying to do work at night. You think it would be cooler, but usually the humidity is higher. It sucks! Even with a few big fans, it's still hot. But getting the air to move around a bit helps.
I do got to get back to work on my crate...or as you said, it won't get done.

BTW, you can call me Jack.

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx

lol sorry about that jack. when i was writing this up on the preview it doesnt show your signature and i was to lazy to go back and save my work and reattach the pictures.

so yesterday i finished sanding the primer down in the door areas and tomorrow i will be laying down some HOK orion silver on the door jambs, mirrors, rear sail panels that mount to the back window area . Hopefully everything comes out good. ill post some pics to get some feedback. so much work to do but its gotta get done

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Fonz,
Definitely post some pics of your progress. I need all the inspiration and motivation I can get at this point... :wink:
Keep up the good work.

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx

LSCustoms said:
keep up the good work bro

Thanks LS apprecaite the comments. i was looking at your build thread earlier and was really digging the dash cause it looks like its wrapped in leather. and i like the how the area where the ac controls go was brought out at an angle. keep up the good work.

Longroof79 said:
Fonz,
Definitely post some pics of your progress. I need all the inspiration and motivation I can get at this point... :wink:
Keep up the good work.

dont we all jack. everytime i look at other peoples pics of the progress they have done its a real motivator.

well jack heres some motivation for you.

so saturday i got the door jams, rear sail panels, mirrors all painted and sparkly. The door jams and sail panels came out awesome. THe mirrors not so much so ill have to redo those later.it happens 8)

here's some pics of the door jams

look at that metallic shine

Attachments

• door jam painted and fender patch 001.jpg
    door jam painted and fender patch 001.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 1,200
  • door jam painted and fender patch 003.jpg
    door jam painted and fender patch 003.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 1,189
  • door jam painted and fender patch 006.jpg
    door jam painted and fender patch 006.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 1,201
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor