1982 El Camino build *The Fonz*

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA
Re: 1982 El Camino build *New Member The Fonz*

welcome... i see ur doin some good work to the car shud look real nice once its done

melman109

Royal Smart Person
Apr 22, 2008
Arizona

Sounds like you have some good plans for her! I love the look your going for, I'll def be watching this build. What program did you use to design that battery tray?

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx

Thanks Kuruption! .... Mel i used Autodesk Inventor since that's what i use at work all day .... believe me when your designing something there is nothing like a 3D program it makes life but .... but sometimes you have to work with what you have lol.....

Well yesterday i tweaked the design on my bracket and traced my pattern on to my sheetmetal (16 Ga.). Then i started to cut it out with a cut-out wheel ..... well that didnt go to well. Since i dont do much sheetmetal until now i usedThe cut-off wheels but they wear down to fast and are slow to use. So i have been looking into buying electric shears from Harbor Freight to see how well they hold up. Theres also some electric nibblers but they are WAAAAAAY to out of my price range. What do you guys use or recomend?

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 2,370

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx

So this is what i have accomplished over the weekend.
I bought me a new toy to cut out my bracket, an electric shear from harbor freight, and it works ok on the 14 gauge. Being that it does comes from HF its good enough for me. but Seems like a good tool to invest in with a better built brand later on.

so i also took out the rear window out to remove all the old weather strip caulking and to check i didnt have any rot on the window lips. They checked out in pretty good shape not to bad actually.

But i do have rot slightly below where the window sits so ill have to take care of that. I guess here is my chance to try out my new Eastwood Mig welder i bought a couple of months ago ... i just need to buy a bottle of ga$.

and some more behind the sail panels ... i believe that's what they are called .... on both sides. But shouldnt be to bad to cut out and weld in place.

Attachments

• 2011-06-18 17.08.09.jpg
    2011-06-18 17.08.09.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 2,329
  • 2011-06-18 17.08.20.jpg
    2011-06-18 17.08.20.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 2,336
  • 2011-06-18 17.08.32.jpg
    2011-06-18 17.08.32.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 2,329

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx

so a little update of what i have accomplished so far.....

i have the door jams and rest of the body already in 2k primer, now time to start the block sanding proces. i plan on painitng the jams first then put the hood and fenders on to finish sanding those and get them in primer.

im still not sure what color to paint my car but most likely some form of silver again. i like the Tarnished silver that GM has out. they are on the corvettes, saturn sky,... i like that it is not straight silver and has a slight modern touch by using a color used today but not bastardize the look of the car. The reason i might go with a light color alos is because here in good old texas it is hot.... hot as hell literally :evil: it has been 100 deg everyday for the past two months and the best is still to come. and houston being so close the coast the humidity adds to the torture lol.

another opton is all black, or all dark mettalic blue, but A/C will be a must. So i also have my eye on the Orion Silver from House of Kolor which is an swesome silver when you see it in person.

so well yesterday i took off the driver and passenger windows, the mirrors, the chrome felt trim, and door handles to properly prep the last remaining spots for paint. i started to cut out the battery bracket with my new electric shears from Harbor Freight and they actually work pretty good at cutting 14 ga.ill probably take some pics today of the progress.

Attachments

• corvette tarnished silver.jpg
    corvette tarnished silver.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 1,425
  • orion silver.jpg
    orion silver.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,602

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

The Corvette silver is kinda nice and subtle, but the House of Color silver (on the Cobra) really pops. I think silver is a good color, with excellent reflective qualities for that hot sun.
Good luck on your progress. 8)

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx

Thanks Jack. I think your right the HOK silver does have that pop to it and would make it shine real nice. I also never had to much of a problem with the silver and hot weather in houston... i mean it was hot but not hell hot like in a black color... so i think i just might go with the HOK silver.

So anyways i had been doing some thinking of mirror options. i currently have the standard mirrors that came with the elcamino but not a big fan of them. I know alot of people do the Monte Carlo mirror upgrade which is cool but i think i might just take it to the next level lol. So the other day at work i was looking at my friends 2011 camaro ss and i was really digging the mirrors. They are very boxing, straight lines, more of a look i think would suit an elcamino, instead of an oval/round/curved type, kind of what it has now.

Here's a pic for viewing purposes:

The only problem would be the mounting of the mirror. Note how on the camaro the mirror is mounted more towards the top side of the door, looks to be about the same amount of space as the el camino. I could either cover up the existing holes and make new ones to mount the mirror on top .... or i would have to design some kind of wedge or spacer to keep the existing holes and mount on the current, side of door, location and keeping the angle correct. I might go the side option so that i can design a wedge / spacer and people can upgrade their mirrors without going the filling holes and repainting door process... dont know yet. Btw other than Ebay, anybody know of a source for these mirrors but aftermarket ... i'm not about to pay dealer price for something to play around with. so let me know what you guys think of the idea

Attachments

• 2010camaro_mirror1.jpg
    2010camaro_mirror1.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 1,383
  • 2010camaro_mirror2.jpg
    2010camaro_mirror2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,389

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Fonz,
They are nice mirrors, but mounting to them to the Elky (or Malibu) doors might take a bit ingenuity. A fella that posted recently, used a later style mirror and made his own mounting blocks out of what looked like a hard rubber. I'll see if I can find the link to his pics, etc . He did an awesome job on the mirrors, and the whole car was very tastefully done.
I was going to install the later '86 style mirror using El Camino base gaskets, but decided to go a different route and sold the mirrors.
I also like the certain style mirrors that mount in the forward window frame. That's a very nice look as well.
I"m also in a dilemma about what style mirror to use. I think it also depends on the overall style of how the car will look, and what custom touches will be used.

Here's a link to one of our member's El Camino. Check out the mirrors he used. Beautiful, too.

https://sites.google.com/site/darbyselky/home

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx

yeah your right long roof it would take some designing to get this right. Good thing i access to 3D CAD so i can always design a wedge or mounting blocks for the mirrors and mock up everything to check and make sure that everything fits. Then there are places where you send the file of the part you designed and they use what they call a 3D printer to make a prototype of the part.

Also i had seen this guys site before on the mirrors and i think he did use like some kind of hard plastic or rubber and had to sand and tinker with it to get the angle right. But in the mean time this idea of the camaro mirrors will be in the back burner for now.... i need to finish painting my car which is my #1 priority right now.

btw i was also trying to find at one time some chrome or billet mirrors but i only found the billet specialties square ones $$$.... i know there has to be other companies out there that make some kind of custom mirrors.... anybody know of any other companies??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor