Steering box upgrade, options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfever

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2011
Nova Scotia
I want to up grade my 83 LeMans wagon steering box. What are the the cheapest options?
I have a clip from a 77 trans am, will this steering box work?
I am new to this.

Should I look for a z28 box or a SS Monte box?

Does it have to be metric?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Z28 box has shorter stops and a heavier feel than the SS box, both have the same ratios

I use a Z box since it stops the tire rub on the 36 mm sway bar I use. U turns are not as tight but I'm fine with that

Possumz

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2010
Virginia Beach, Virginia
pontiacgp said:
Z28 box has shorter stops and a heavier feel than the SS box, both have the same ratios

I :bump: use a Z box since it stops the tire rub on the 36 mm sway bar I use. U turns are not as tight but I'm fine with that

flatheadfever

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2011
Nova Scotia
What year Z boxes can I look for?

pontiacgp said:

I use a Z box since it stops the tire rub on the 36 mm sway bar I use. U turns are not as tight but I'm fine with that

Freddiesmooth

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2010
Pittsfield Ma
Use a steeing box from a 82-92 camaro or firebird . they are 2 1/2 turns lock to lock with no internal stops so you will have full swing unlike the old style z28 box . My box was taken from a 1988 formula 350 firebird and it works perfect

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Another possibility that is often overlooked is the Buick Regal. If you see one in a boneyard with a rear sway bar, it will have the good steering box, exactly the same pieces as a T-Type or GN. If you find one, take the pump also, since the high-effort box has sightly different pump valving.

Bill

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
billyjack said:
take the pump also, since the high-effort box has sightly different pump valving.Bill

I always thought all the pumps were the same...interesting and now I'm wondering about my pump..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I really appreciate that info and I bookmarked that page...I'll be looking into that this week..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor