Steering box upgrade, options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, I sourced an XH box out of a Pontiac GTA, since I put 16X8 GTA wheels on my '78 Cutlass...I put 12.5" rotors in the front, so 16" wheels was the smallest I could go...Anyway, I sent my XH box out to Lee Manufacturing, of CA, for a full redo...It was $ well spent.

G-Body_Vet said:
I'm not looking to start a pissing match over this or discredit what you're saying, but there's write-ups about this swap on almost every g-body website. So do tell more!
The reason most sites tell you its the greatest thing since sliced bread is these boxes rarely, if ever, fail. I happened to be one of the few (un)lucky ones that had a box with a broken internal stop. Naturally I took it apart to find out why.

If you choose to go with an f body box it'd be a smart thing to weld an external stop on at least the right lower control arm where it comes on full lock. Reason being, as I said before, is the left turn is controlled by the end cap. You can gain the full left turn ratio (which would be 39 degrees on our g-body) by swapping end caps. But the right is controlled by a spring/ring mechanism internal to the box and cannot be changed. However there may be modified end caps or internal springs available from aftermarket companies that govern both stops, youd have to call around and ask. and by that point couldve just bought a monte ss box.

gbody enthusiast backs me up here ->
G_Body_Enthusiast said:
the g body ones have 39 degree stops, the fbody ones have 32 and 35 degree stops
35x2=70 degree turning radius on the box, most fbodies are 70 degree i have found. 64 degree is even worse no wonder some people can't make a u turn :shock:

and most f body cars are 2.75-3 turns lock to lock, the higher performance versions are 2.5 turns. I have always heard of this 2.25 box but have personally never seen it or known anyone with it beyond aftermarket

ponitacgp is spot on here
pontiacgp said:
The bump steer isn't affected if you use the G body pitman arm.

use a monte ss or gn or 442 box from a g body and you'll never need to second guess, if you want an easier steering feel then upgrade the pump :!:

custom, I have used an SS box and now have used the Z box for a few years. The Z box is great and if I found any problem with bump steer we have the bump steer gauge at the race shop and I could adjust if the need was there, it's not and the car handles exactly like I want it to. I don't want a lighter feel, one of the reasons I went with a Z box was for it's heavier feel.

pontiacgp said:
it's not and the car handles exactly like I want it to. I don't want a lighter feel, one of the reasons I went with a Z box was for it's heavier feel.

This is also another reason I wanted to give it a try. The one I have is definitely a 2.25 box too. I'm also using 2" drop spindles, a 34mm bar and 5664 springs up front. Since the car is lowered and will have the extra weight of a Pontiac 455, I wanted minimal front end flex and a limited turning radius to prevent wheel rub.

pontiacgp said:
custom, I have used an SS box and now have used the Z box for a few years. The Z box is great and if I found any problem with bump steer we have the bump steer gauge at the race shop and I could adjust if the need was there, it's not and the car handles exactly like I want it to. I don't want a lighter feel, one of the reasons I went with a Z box was for it's heavier feel.

true gp, I was just stating the option of changing pumps. But i'm sure you're using the stock pitman arm, exterior dimension wise there's no change in these 80s cardone boxes

G-Body_Vet said:
This is also another reason I wanted to give it a try. The one I have is definitely a 2.25 box too. I'm also using 2" drop spindles, a 34mm bar and 5664 springs up front. Since the car is lowered and will have the extra weight of a Pontiac 455, I wanted minimal front end flex and a limited turning radius to prevent wheel rub.
is this 2.25 measured from the pitman arm shaft or the steering wheel? if it is 2.25 what casting number do you have and car did it come off? I've pulled a few from irocs and z28s with the 16" that were supposed to have the 2.25 box with no luck. But what I think is going on there is the ratio lock to lock isn't quicker, from what I understand there never was a box with lower than 12.7:1 in those years, although people call them 12:1 boxes they're actually 12.7. (There were lower ratios than 12.7 on a few upgraded suspension f41 cars in the 70s) I believe this 3rd gen 64 degree box has the internal stops at a smaller angle to reduce wheel rub with larger stock tires.

cdg1984 said:
So what is the advantage of an f body box over a rebulit g body quick ratio box?

advantage is there's more of them, easier to find, cheaper to buy used. Disadvantages are posted earlier. don't need a rebuilt g body box, just buy one from a car that had quick ratio to begin with, harder to find but they're out there

custom, the 2.25 box has the 12.7.1 ratio, what makes it a 2.25 box is the stops on it and that was the fastest ratio GM ever used in a production car. The box I'm using had the Z right on the box. The other thing I would not want to run a box tighter than that. On the highway you can't take you eyes off the road for a second cause one little move on the wheel you've changed lanes

pontiacgp said:
custom, the 2.25 box has the 12.7.1 ratio, what makes it a 2.25 box is the stops on it and that was the fastest ratio GM ever used in a production car. The box I'm using had the Z right on the box. The other thing I would not want to run a box tighter than that. On the highway you can't take you eyes off the road for a second cause one little move on the wheel you've changed lanes

I was thinking along the same lines, with those internal stops gp. Its difficult to find the boxes theres a lot of 3rd gens in junkyards around here and none of the cars that are 'supposed' to have the 2.25's are actually 2.25.

Late 60s early 70's f41 equipped cars have a 12.4:1 ratio at full lock. I believe they are dual ratio boxes.

G-Body_Vet said:
FWIW, if anyone is selling a 605 box from their car, they're suppose to be popular with the tri-five crowd. I sold mine in no time after I pulled it.

I found a link for about the 605 tri five swap. http://www.classicperform.com/tech_arti ... eering.htm
http://carnut.com/specs/steering/pwr605.html

A guy on craigslist let me know the 78-83 13/16" 605 boxes/pitman arms were recalled and upgraded with 800 boxes (with 3/4" shaft). I've found elsewhere they were used up until '80 but wasn't aware of the recall thing. If you see this craigslist Mike sign up!! its free!

the stock manual tri five boxes were the 13/16" shaft so its the easiest modern power steering upgrade option they've got for the price

whats up Mike, this is Mike as well, after alittle hassle and a slight headache I finally got the 800 box and new pitman installed and I must say that the difference is night and day. The steering is much tighter and the upgrade was definitely worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor