Steering box upgrade, options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wanting to re-valve my pump after installing a Monte SS steering box. This was years ago. The steering works fine, just slightly more effort turning the wheel. I originally gleaned this info from the Monte SS forum.

why am always the last to know.. :|

that's what's great about this forum...there is always something someone else brings up that I have overlooked

One other thing while we're at it. I have an f-body Z box with 2.25 turn lock-to-lock and the pitman arm is too long. I'm assuming this is the same for other f-body boxes. I already sold my original box with the pitman arm so I need to acquire another one.

G-Body_Vet said:
One other thing while we're at it. I have an f-body Z box with 2.25 turn lock-to-lock and the pitman arm is too long. I'm assuming this is the same for other f-body boxes. I already sold my original box with the pitman arm so I need to acquire another one.

Don't feel bad, I did the same exact thing :blam:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-PITM ... 334f88b835

79loserbluebu said:
G-Body_Vet said:

Don't feel bad, I did the same exact thing :blam:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-PITM ... 334f88b835

The funny thing is that particular one is of the few new ones I've seen. Last time I looked I don't think parts retailers normally carry them because they aren't considered a serviceable part. Since I'm a cheap-*ss I'll probably go yank one from a PickNPull or find a GBF member with an extra....hint,hint!

FWIW, if anyone is selling a 605 box from their car, they're suppose to be popular with the tri-five crowd. I sold mine in no time after I pulled it.

Freddiesmooth said:
Use a steeing box from a 82-92 camaro or firebird . they are 2 1/2 turns lock to lock with no internal stops so you will have full swing unlike the old style z28 box . My box was taken from a 1988 formula 350 firebird and it works perfect

No. They do have internal stops. Swapping your stock g body end cap into the 3rd den camaro box will give full degree of travel for left turns, but the right stop will keep the camaro travel as it is internal/not designated by the end cap. and this is a problem since the internal stop has the potential to bind or lock up without the help of the camaros external stop on the control arm. This is why some people, including myself, didn't like the feel of the camaro swap after almost running into a few trees from a stuck internal stop. 12.7:1 camaro boxes are closer to 2.75-3 turns lock to lock. G body boxes have 78 full degree turns, fbody = 70 degree. The only reason people's g bodies have a smaller turning radius with the fbody box in our cars is because they are hitting the internal stops :!: The simple solution is to weld on a piece of steel on your control arm to assist the internal stops' now smaller degree of turning radius, or just buy the right box from a monte ss or 442.

about the pitman arm deal - using a different pitman arm than stock with a box that has different than stock internal stops is a very bad idea. What can happen is, on rebound you may have considerably increased or decreased bump steer, which if coming to near or at full lock and full rebound, it will not steer out of a turn as you would be used to because you have no control over the toe. This is why its recommended to keep your stock pitman arm.

couple the increased bump steer with a stuck internal stop and you will sh*t your pants. yes, you will. you think I'm just saying that

Anyone else care to chime in about that ^^^^^? I've never heard anyone complain about it so I'd be interested in hearing more. I've always been under the impression that the f-body boxes on cars that had 16" wheels (such as IROC & WS6's=2.25 turn locks) were a good option on lowered cars to prevent wheel rub on turns. IIRC, I think there was also benefit to doing this if you're running the larger 34 or 36mm sway bars.

I understand the theory behind bump steer, reduced turning radius and different pitman arms; but I'd like to hear some more real world experiences regarding this.

As for the stuck internal stops, I had planned on keeping the box stock without modifications so that isn't a worry IMO. I'm not looking to start a pissing match over this or discredit what you're saying, but there's write-ups about this swap on almost every g-body website. So do tell more!

I run the Z box for a few reasons, I like the close ratio, the fact that it has a heavier feel to it and that the stops prevent the 245-60-16 tires from rubbing the 36mm sway bar I have. The turning circle is increased but that doesn't bother me at all and if I need to make a quick u-turn I have a clutch and a gas pedal to assist me. The bump steer isn't affected if you use the G body pitman arm.

I dont know how it would fit in your 83 wagon, but you can get a rebuilt gbody quick ratio box from auto zone or the like for $130.00

i was reading an article from an old issue of car craft (march 2000) on gear boxes. the fbody used some different boxes with different stops. the ones used for 16 inch wheels were different from the ones for 15 inch wheels. so you have to be careful about which one you get (use an app that had 16 inch wheels). if you're using wide wheels and fat tires, stick with an F body box otherwise the monte ss/GN gear box will work fine if you use wheels and tires of the same size as those they put on from the factory. the g body ones have 39 degree stops, the fbody ones have 32 and 35 degree stops. '

here are the numbers...

fbody
GM PN: 7839897
hollander salvage yard interchange # 1271
ID code: ws
travel: 35 degrees
steering valve tension: 28 lb-in
original app: 82-92 fbody performance suspension 15" wheels

gm: 7843512
hollander salvage yard interchange # 1331
ID code: hx
travel: 32 degrees
steering valve tension: 32 lb-in
original app: 84-92 fbody performance suspension 16" wheels

g-body
GM: 7843135 (this has been superceded with the 7839897 part)
hollander salvage yard interchange: 1282
ID code: ya
travel: 39 degrees 15'
steering valve tension: 30 lb-in
original app: 84-87 GN monte ss 442 hurst olds

i'd probably go with the second one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor