OPG Coil Spring Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

mguerci

Apprentice
Aug 30, 2006
Columbia, SC
I am planning on upgrading the suspension on my 78 GP with OPG lowering springs and Bilstein shocks. Based on inputs from others, I have narrowed my options down to a drop of 3/2 or 2/1 (F/R) My questions are:

1. Would it better to shoot for more drop and then shim (with Global West aluminum spacers) or less and trim as needed?
2. Minor trimming on the fronts is easy, but does anyone know if the rear OPG springs have pigtails on one end of both? Rear G-body springs seem to come in both versions from different vendors. I know my current Moog CC627 rears are only single pigtails.
3. My 78 GP has a Pontiac 400 w/ TH350. All of the OPG springs are based on car type (Monte, El Camino, Malibu, Wagon) and engine (V6, V8, and Monte SS). Does anybody have any idea what would be in the same ballpark? I was thinking the Monte V8 option would be closest since.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
what are the goals for the car? is it mostly looks or extreme handling?
past 2in drop in the front you start to lose proper LCA alignment. i'm not sure of the point on the rear (i think it's 2in), but too far screws up handling also. there are ways to correct this but it gets expensive.
if you're sticking with stock spindles you can also use tall ball joints which gives .5-1.0in drop with out moving the LCA angle.
either way, i'd rather get excessively dropped springs and shim them up than screw with the spring rates by cutting them.
IIRC the pontiac 400 is about the same weight as the SBC v8, maybe even slightly lighter.

mguerci

Apprentice
Aug 30, 2006
Columbia, SC
Far enough. I'm just looking to improve appearance and handling some. I was planning on running stock spindles.

The hard part now is determine an approximate target drop since "stock" is difficult to define. I've been reviewing a lot of info from different people to determine what different combinations of springs and shocks look/ride like. I don't have any hard target, I just don't want to end up havng to get multiple springs.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
2" OPG's in the rear and you're fine. You know what I run up front and I'm very happy with the stance, handling and ride quality. However if you want to run their 2" drops up front, just go with an SC&C stage 2 kit and you'll get .5-.75 more drop totaling 2.75" which would be the safer route if you think 3" will be too much. If you have the 78 GP I would get the ones for the 78-88 Monte (NON SS)

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
If you want a low buck option up front - try 4x4 s10 springs. .75-1" drop and almost twice the spring rate for better handling, for $50-$70 new. I have them on my car and I am very happy, but I do not like excessively dropped cars.

mguerci

Apprentice
Aug 30, 2006
Columbia, SC
Yes I've seen that before. My question isn't about which springs (Eibach\Moog\OPG). I know I want to go with either 3" OPG or 2" OPG with tall joints. My question is is the difference in the wheel to fender clearance impact when at full compression between these two options.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
Stoopud said:
If you want a low buck option up front - try 4x4 s10 springs. .75-1" drop and almost twice the spring rate for better handling, for $50-$70 new. I have them on my car and I am very happy, but I do not like excessively dropped cars.

really? what exactly did you get? I want about an inch lower on my regal, I just need some more spring rate to acomidate my 350sbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor