1988 Cutlass - GNX Suspension Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Re: 88 Cutlass - New Wheels and Interior

Nice car and nice attention to detail. Can you tell me where you got the W30 decals you put above the front marker lights? I have some on mine that I'm not crazy about and need some new ones in gold. If they're not available in gold a CAD file would be great.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008

Thanks for the complements guys!
Lots of work to get to this point, I still need to swap out the rear seat, package tray, inner seat belts, lower console section, T-top trim and rear plastic. Stuff that's on there is nice but I have nicer stuff, some of it from an 11,000mi car. I even have a nicer dash, NOS carpet and dash trim... :lol: All that will get done once the Aero kit is installed, I drive this car often so I try to keep the nice stuff off of it.
The upholstry is GM, I didn't recover the door panels or seats yet with the NOS stuff I have since the're from low mile car and look awesome. Everything in the interior is GM except door locks, visor/headliner material, top plate and nobs.
Not sure if the mudflaps are GM but I do have a set of white GM mudflaps but black looks better.

Blake442 said:
Looks great Mike!
Except for that blue sh*t still on the letters on the rear tires lol...
If you were keeping the lower stainless trim I'd say change the wheels, but once the aero-kit is on there I think they'll look perfect... :banana:

Yes, I need to scrub that sh*t off tonight. I put them on late yesterday and wanted to see how they felt and looked.
I am putting the Aero kit on adventually, kinda got sick of the 14" Keystones, too much roll and back tires were completely bald... :lol:
The Keystones do look better IMO with the lower trim, but that's gonna change soon enough.

Anubis said:
Nice car and nice attention to detail. Can you tell me where you got the W30 decals you put above the front marker lights? I have some on mine that I'm not crazy about and need some new ones in gold. If they're not available in gold a CAD file would be great.

I sell exact replicas of black and white NOS ones I have from a '69 Cutlass/442 W-30, $25 a pair shipped w/PayPal, I will ask my buddy to see if he can make you some Gold ones or if he has the vector file.
I am still looking for the exact gold vinyl that GM used for the 442's, I can make a set once I locate the vinyl. Kind've been slacking on that project due to a number of other things...

Mar 29, 2012

Holy OLDS, I'm in love with that car!!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

QS442

Master Mechanic
Sep 20, 2011
DE

That car is awesome!! I never was a big fan of the maroon interior because of the way it looks when it fades but that white and maroon combo is hot.

DeltaDevil88

Greasemonkey
May 15, 2011
Dallas,TX

Interior is mint! I wouldn't really even change much more already looks A-1

Only thing I would change is steering wheel not a fan on the thin stock wheel.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Just received my GNX suspension package and tail pipes from Pete Hoffman on Turbobuick.com .
Bars are going out to the powder coater, getting them done in red and the rear end cover is going to Baddd Andy on realoldspower.com to get polished.
I installed an 8.5 3.42 posi last fall, going to take the car to the track and do a before and after install comparison in April or end of March depending on when winter is going to end here in Chicago.
20140222_123520.jpg

This is what I am going for:
GNX7.jpg

GNX8.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
I was always skeptical on how those sway bars hold up by biting into the axle housing tube.

That last pic confirm that they don't bite all to well. Looks like vicegrip marks you see, when someone didn't have the right tools to loosen a bolt or a round bar or something.

Vaughn3031

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2013
Sarnia, ontario
online170 said:
I was always skeptical on how those sway bars hold up by biting into the axle housing tube.

That last pic confirm that they don't bite all to well. Looks like vicegrip marks you see, when someone didn't have the right tools to loosen a bolt or a round bar or something.

marks were probably just made from trial and error lining everything up

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I would use a U clamp no the sway bar.
Also, since this car is also getting a 650hp 496 Olds (currently underway at BTR), for drag racing with this setup I am going to have to install coil overs or double up the stiffness since the rear of the body raises during launches.
I also need to box in the frame (project for next winter) prior to installing that beast...

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I once got a free 12-bolt from a 70 chevy full-size that had four links plus a panhard bar. I thought I could narrow it and started designing a workaround to add G-body control arm mounts using a perimeter plate and studs in plate of the cover bolts. I pitched the axle after zero interest in Craigslist and EBay. If I had known what a GNX cover looked like, I might have continued my pursuit. Yours is a way, way awesome machine. I keep seeing GNXs with about 80 miles on them. I'm surprised any parts were ever salvaged! I'm glad these parts made it onto a most worthy car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor