88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
These are the Panhard and Stiffhard bar brackets:

20140212_201017.jpg

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
The alignment jigs finally arrived, 7 months later...
Aligned everything and had my buddy over last night welding in the pan hard and stiff hard brackets and spring perch extensions.
Still need to press in the bushings on the ladder bar and weld in the cross member.
Once that is done I will get everything powder coated and send the cover off to be polished, wanted to make sure everything fit before making it pretty.
Took a bunch of passes at Great Lakes Dragaway on Monday to get a baseline, I might be able to hit up Byron on Sunday to do a few passes to see how much my 60' times decrease.
Should be about a 0.10-.15 decrease according to some TB owners.
IMAG2485.jpg
[/URL]
IMAG2482.jpg
[/URL]

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Suspension is finally in.
Was having issues with pressing the ladder bar/torque arm bushings in and had to go through a couple torque arms to get one that wasn't distorted from welding.
Was a painful process but the end result was well worth the wait and I do have to say what a difference!
It's like driving a whole different vehicle and the traction is insane and handles around corners like no other.
I am not sure why GM never installed this setup in other G-body's.
Hitting the track tomorrow to evaluate the 60' times.
IMAG2608.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Looks awesome, Mike!
Too bad the lower bar totally blocks the fancy GNX logo! :p
I'm sure cost is what kept them out of other G-bodies...
Definitely curious as to how much your times improve.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Your torque arm/Panhard bar setup just plain looks "Bad to the Bone" !!! I am also waiting to hear your performance improvements. In Mark Savitske's book (How to Make Your Muscle Car Handle) in chapter 8, page 113 he states: The limited-production Buick GNX torque arm/ Panhard bar setup is not a particularly well-designed suspension and should be avoided. The torque arm is too short and in a compromised location due to packaging limits. The Panhard bar is too short and not level at factory ride height. You're better off tweaking the factory converging four-link. It's a shame the GM engineers didn't spend the same time and effort on overhauling the front suspension instead. ... I only posted that because I don't understand why he thinks it should be avoided (for drag racing? for autoX? for road racing? for the street?) ! ... I would appreciate your input and what you found during your research (besides it looking "Bad to the Bone" even without color!) . ... Thanks>

Doug

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Ive heard that too, it holds true with max effort setups and drag racing but if its a street car it makes a world of difference.
You need to experience it first hand and not on paper to fully appreciate the setup.
The amount of traction gained is impressive and its pretty cool when the rear of the car rises instead of squatting when taking off.
I had to cancel my track visit this weekend due to a major event, this Saturday is free if the weather holds up.
Stay tuned...

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
FWIW, Ron Sutton said he prefers a Panhard bar (for ease of adjustment) and Mark seems to like the Watts linkage better. Oh, thanks for the reply.

Doug

I drove an X this weekend, it wouldn't do a burnout. The front tires just slid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor