70 cadillac pulley question

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
what do i need besides the pulleys off a 70 cadillac engine to run the alternator without the smog pump? there's a 70 coupe deville in a yard near me and i'd like to yank those parts rather than spend big bucks for billet pulleys.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
Pulleys, accessories, accessory brackets and belts are all I can think of.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
i'm completely confused by my pulley and accessory set up. the crank has a two groove pulley, the front groove being smaller than the back groove. the water pump pulley also has two grooves. the PS pump only has 1 groove and the alternator has 2.

can anyone make sense of this for me? the engine is a 74 and i thought it would have the two groove pulley for the PS pump but it doesnt and the crank pulley doesnt have double grooves, only a single in the back. and why does the alternator have a double groove pulley? i got no info on the set up when i asked about it so i'm in the dark on this one. i have 3 brackets for the alternator, front rear and adjuster, the PS pump has the aluminum bracket and no bracket for an air pump.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
This is how I remember them. The non AC cars wich are very rare, had a single groove PS pulley all the rest had two grove PS pullys. Every 70 I have ever seen had a air pump.
I would look for a 77-78 425 and get the pullys and brackets because the had no Air pump and a single belt for the AC-PS.
Also get the timing pointer so it will clear the 425 crank pully.

Attachments

• 2012-03-02_130141_20770239_bos_69225_pri_mini.jpg
    2012-03-02_130141_20770239_bos_69225_pri_mini.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 2,138

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
ok that looks very similar to mine. i had to dig everything out and i'll be putting it all back together to see what pulleys connect to other pulleys. maybe mine was ac delete. still doesnt explain the double groove pulley for the alternator but does make sense of everything else. thanks. i'll take some pics and put em up later. it had no belts and i totally forgot to take pictures of the accessory pulley alignment. at least i kept all the hardware so i can put it back together.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
G_Body_Enthusiast said:
ok that looks very similar to mine. i had to dig everything out and i'll be putting it all back together to see what pulleys connect to other pulleys. maybe mine was ac delete. still doesn't explain the double groove pulley for the alternator but does make sense of everything else. thanks. i'll take some pics and put em up later. it had no belts and i totally forgot to take pictures of the accessory pulley alignment. at least i kept all the hardware so i can put it back together.
I found that some Reman Alternators had two groove pulleys, Most people wouldn't bother swapping them. So that might explain why you have one.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
tc1959 said:
I found that some Reman Alternators had two groove pulleys, Most people wouldn't bother swapping them. So that might explain why you have one.

i was thinking someone used an alternator from a different application. doesnt matter, the bearings are trash and it makes noise when you spin it so i need to get another one. the PS pump spins freely and quietly, no play in the shaft so it may still be good.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
A lot of people run the 77 - 79 (425) pulleys/brackets because of the non smog setup. Also you can use a set off an 80 - 81 368 (6.0) because in addition to the non smog setup the brackets are for the R4 compressor that we have in the Gbody. I ran these brackets with one easy modification to mount to an Edelbrock intake and run my factory AC. The 368 pulleys had a double pulley on the water pump pulley which i did not need but its only pressed in so you can literally pop it off to make it a single pulley.

Also not sure about the 425 pulleys but the 368 pulleys had the small light harmonic dampner on it instead of the very heavy cast crank pulley so its a much lighter setup for a quicker spin up or rev. When I had the engine at the machine shop I had them balance the rotating assembly with the small harmonic damper and 500 flywheel in case it would balance differently than with the heavy cast crank pulley. Not sure if that mattered but I had it along for safety sake in case they could do a better balance job with it.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
there's a 70 caddy in a yard near me. im gonna take a look and see whats left and scavenge what i can. if the whole engine is there i'm gonna try and get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor