Engine Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
-83MONTESS- said:
As far as what everyone thinks is a better engine that all comes down to opinion. I find that Pontiac guys are generally the biggest dickheads when it comes to brand loyalty but the Olds crowd is closing in on that title it seems.
I think you would have a different outlook if you weren't a Chevy guy :p

For me it goes beyond brand loyalty, and I think this is where people miss the point of view of most car guys.
When someone resorts to ripping out the original BOP engine and stuffing in a Chevy it comes off as someone who is not viewed as a car guy and is taking the easy way out. There are equivalent options in price and performance with a BOP if the individual took some time to actually be a car guy do the research and be mechanically inclined.
It's about creating something with your own two hands that earns respect in my book.

I also equate it to the guys who show up at cruise night with a beat up daily driver 2002 Camaro or a fresh off the lot Mufftang Charger/Challenger/Corvette/Camaro or a plane Jane 2010 Jaguar.
Saw a bunch of those last night at the local cruise night, heard people with their WTF comments... IMO those cars do not belong at a cruise night.
Cruise nights are meant for those to show off their accomplishments and take pride in what they created with their own two hands. No one wants to see a POS Camaro filled with bugs and not washed at a cruise night, I see those POS on the road all day... I understand if the guy loves his car and such but people go to those shows to see stuff you just don't see everyday.
A car guy doesn't go out and just simply buy their car either, they create their car.

Now, I don't care if someone's preference it a Chevy engine, it's beyond that for me, it's just unfortunate they are cookie cutter and have become synonymous with the guys who have no clue who just want to fix an oil leak or just wants to slop parts together out of a catalog to have a cheap fast car.
It's not that easy...
Get creative, have some ingenuity, stand out from the crowd, create something that leaves others inspired, do the research and work hard at doing it.
That's what gains my respect and I'm sure that's what others are thinking too when they see a Chevy stuffed into any other make...

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
88hurstolds said:
-83MONTESS- said:
As far as what everyone thinks is a better engine that all comes down to opinion. I find that Pontiac guys are generally the biggest dickheads when it comes to brand loyalty but the Olds crowd is closing in on that title it seems.
I think you would have a different outlook if you weren't a Chevy guy :p

For me it goes beyond brand loyalty, and I think this is where people miss the point of view of most car guys.
When someone resorts to ripping out the original BOP engine and stuffing in a Chevy it comes off as someone who is not viewed as a car guy and is taking the easy way out. There are equivalent options in price and performance with a BOP if the individual took some time to actually be a car guy do the research and be mechanically inclined.
It's about creating something with your own two hands that earns respect in my book.

I also equate it to the guys who show up at cruise night with a beat up daily driver 2002 Camaro or a fresh off the lot Mufftang Charger/Challenger/Corvette/Camaro or a plane Jane 2010 Jaguar.
Saw a bunch of those last night at the local cruise night, heard people with their WTF comments... IMO those cars do not belong at a cruise night.
Cruise nights are meant for those to show off their accomplishments and take pride in what they created with their own two hands. No one wants to see a POS Camaro filled with bugs and not washed at a cruise night, I see those POS on the road all day... I understand if the guy loves his car and such but people go to those shows to see stuff you just don't see everyday.
A car guy doesn't go out and just simply buy their car either, they create their car.

Now, I don't care if someone's preference it a Chevy engine, it's beyond that for me, it's just unfortunate they are cookie cutter and have become synonymous with the guys who have no clue who just want to fix an oil leak or just wants to slop parts together out of a catalog to have a cheap fast car.
It's not that easy...
Get creative, have some ingenuity, stand out from the crowd, create something that leaves others inspired, do the research and work hard at doing it.
That's what gains my respect and I'm sure that's what others are thinking too when they see a Chevy stuffed into any other make...
Even though I own a chevy I am an Olds guy at heart. My Monte almost ended up with a 425 Olds because it's all I had but I ran out of money. I will save that for my dream 69 4-4-2 convertible :lol:

I agree 100000% about newer cars at car shows. Its about as bad as the hundreds of Corvettes that show up :roll: I also agree about brand loyalty except in a few instances like if we are talking about a young kid that just wants to drive their project but cant afford to build an Olds or a Buick so they stick with a chevy. Or like the OP they want to build a race car where most original parts are going to be swapped with aftermarket stuff anyway. Whatever the OP chooses is fine by me because not a single dollar of mine went into it so I cant complain :D

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
We are all car enthusiasts but just like people we all have different ideas. Whether it's an GM,Ford,Chrysler, or import I'm happy to see people showing interest in these older cars. I might not like what some people do to their cars but it is their choice. I can appreciate the time and effort put forth and if there happy with it so be it and not bash them for it. G bodies came with SBC's never a big block

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
lilbowtie said:
We are all car enthusiasts but just like people we all have different ideas. Whether it's an GM,Ford,Chrysler, or import I'm happy to see people showing interest in these older cars. I might not like what some people do to their cars but it is their choice. I can appreciate the time and effort put forth and if there happy with it so be it and not bash them for it. G bodies came with SBC's never a big block

x1000

I just like to see things. Even if it's a stocker with a few mods, to something that's totally built from the ground up, modern or classic, something common or something completely oddball . . I think it's the enthusiasm aspect of it that I appreciate.

I mean, heck, I consider myself basically the "enthusiastic kid" because my mechanical talents are limited. But I enjoy seeing the different things people have done.

My 1979 Cutlass is a 260 Olds Engine, to be replaced by a 455 Olds Engine. Because I have the 455, and I want to keep THIS particular Olds an Olds.

My 1978 "Anti-project" LeSabre is "Whatever I can get for free or as cheap as possible" because it's a fun beater classic that I don't HAVE to care/worry about. And if it weren't for the fact that the 301 (when at anything above idle) runs so incredibly well (no, really, given everything I'd heard about it, I expected the 301 to be a huge disappointment - it is NOT), I'd likely be looking for your typical SBC swap.

If I had a new musclecar, I might go to shows/cruises with it, if it was an old-and-new type of show. Obviously I wouldn't go to a "1974 and earlier" show or anything like that...

Anything can be interesting . . even that AMC Pacer with the swapped in Jeep 282, or the Valiant with a bone-stock 198 slant six. Anything can garner enthusiasm.

EDIT: this is not to say that I might not, at first, or even second glance, say "Why the hell did they do X, Y, and Z?" or "what the hell were they thinking?" But certain things tend to grow on me...

88olds32

Apprentice
Feb 10, 2014
Everyone - thanks for the info. I'm going to continue reading up on this subject and will talk to other local hotrodders. I'll keep you all posted.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Not all of us Canucks like sbc powered Olds. Honestly if you can't work on your car yourself, buy a new Mustang or Camaro. You will save money in the end.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
Ha ha ha the Olds/Chevy debate. Now, I'm the first guy to say "keep your Olds all Olds"...I personally feel this pretty strongly...but I also can get the "budget" angle that some guys are essentially forced to stick with. Some guys REALLY DO have low-paying jobs and work paycheck-to-paycheck. Having cars like this and blowing money on them isn't the most budget-conscious activity, but I also realize that while I may not LOVE the fact that some guy put a Chevy in his Olds, some other guy whose primary concern is budget may feel the same about my "wasting" money, in his opinion, using some old, somewhat-poorly-supported (compared to Chevy) Olds motor, when I could have gotten by with the cheaper Chevy motor.

Do I respect a guy who puts a Chevy motor in an Olds? What's respect? I don't think it's an extra-cool thing, I do agree that it's sort of a boring choice, but if the guy did this with his own hands, on his limited budget, and he did a good job, then yes, I still respect his work, even though I'd think it was COOLER if he put an Olds motor in it. But this is MY opinion, and HIS car.

And as for Olds motors, seriously, Chevy may be very well supported and therefore a bit cheaper, but an Olds 350 or 403 or especially a 455 ISN'T going to suck, and it isn't going to cost massive amounts more than a Chevy to go fast. Plus, it's going to drop right in place of that 307 like it was meant to be there, because it was. And frankly, when you have lots of torque, you may be just as happy even if you're not going as fast as you set out to go.

So do whatever you want. Us Olds purists WON'T completely get the choice to go Chevy if this is how you go, but what difference does it make if it doesn't make a difference to you? And if it DOES make a difference to you, then the choice is easy.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Another issue is trans and rear end. You will need decent gearing, probably 3.42 or better. The factory 7.5" is questionable, even upgraded. If you go with a 3 SPD trans, highway mileage sucks and your motor will rev pretty dam high. An OD trans will run $2500 to $3000, including converter, for a stout trans that will last.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
olds307 and 403 said:
An OD trans will run $2500 to $3000, including converter, for a stout trans that will last.

That's a bit on the high side unless you're talking about one of the highest end 'super 2004r's'....at least here in the states. My 2004r was rebuilt by one of the reputable builders for much less but did not include the billet input shaft and forward drum ( about $400 for that ) which isn't needed for 'mild performance' applications. With my new engine, I will be getting one myself as I'm now at a much higher level of power than before, but for your typical 350 street build, you can do without it.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I can't believe everyone turned it into a chevy vs olds argument once again. I'm not the most mechanically skilled guy on the board. Two engines I am looking at getting eventually are the LT1 from early 90s Buick Roadmaster or the 5.3 LS1 from several different makes/models. I would suggest you look at the same two engines if you want an engine that is more 'plug and play'

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor