UPDATE '84 Regal Fan Clutch

Steve84

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2018
Well that NEW ACDelco fan clutch I installed in August 2020 is slinging oil now onto the fan blades and fan shroud. Imagine that only 3 years old. The original lasted 37 years. So now I am sending a formal letter to the General Director in Detroit of ACDelco parts telling them my story. Which will also include how the NEW power window regulator ALSO lasted only 3 years. Their parts SUCK.

"
Dear Mr. Drennan,

As a consumer of almost strictly GM cars made prior to the 1990’s I want to let you know about my experience in the last two years with replacement parts made by ACDelco. As you are aware they are NOT what they used to be in quality. I have real life proof and experience of that statement. My ’84 Buick Regal, which is my current daily driver and has been since 1997 had two most unfortunate instances of failing ACDelco brand parts within the last 2 plus years. I refuse to purchase any cars newer than the 1980’s because they are nothing but plastic plain all lookalike computerized headaches. All I need in my car are 4 wheels, a roof, a heater, and manual crank windows with analog controls and a simple points/condenser carbureted V8 engine that I can repair myself. Well back to the problems.

In 2020 I had my local Buick dealer replace the passenger side power window regulator because the original ceased and that part was 37 years old (car has build date of 1983). Then earlier this year that new 2020 ACDelco replacement part failed. So that is a delta of 34 years difference in parts life. The cost to do this job was several hundred dollars the first time, which was understandable. But to have to spend that same amount again within 3 years for the same part is abhorrent and preposterous to say the least.

Then three years ago I had to replace the original thermal fan clutch, because the oil leaked out and the fan ceased to cool properly. Again, understandable because it lasted almost 40 years. Just yesterday I noticed this NEW ACDelco fan clutch I bought online is slinging oil onto my fan blades and fan shroud telling me its seal has failed and soon the clutch will fail too. So, I ordered a HAYDEN brand replacement clutch this time to avoid the inferior unreliable and poor-quality parts made by ACDelco. I can’t trust this brand any longer.

I am including copies of both power window receipts for proof. I don’t have the fan clutch receipt since that was an online order and I installed that part myself.

Bottom line is that I am very disappointed in ACDelco quality and longevity. Really surprising how such a long-time brand can go downhill quickly and without any concern whatsoever to their bread & butter consumer base. "

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Everything sucks, everything is made in China or with Chinese materials. If I can, I like to buy two of standard replacement parts. It's twice the wasted money on inferior products, but it's good to know you have a spare hard to find part.

I had to replace a fan clutch this summer to. I had electric fans for a while u tik they got old and started blowing fuses, and my clutch that I used for maybe a year sand then sat on a shelf started barfing everywhere.

Reactions: 1 user

Steve84

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2018
Everything sucks, everything is made in China or with Chinese materials. If I can, I like to buy two of standard replacement parts. It's twice the wasted money on inferior products, but it's good to know you have a spare hard to find part.

I had to replace a fan clutch this summer to. I had electric fans for a while u tik they got old and started blowing fuses, and my clutch that I used for maybe a year sand then sat on a shelf started barfing everywhere.
I think things will change and parts will be made here again in the USA with quality. Just a matter of time. This garbage will not last forever. Paradigm shift coming soon. Goods will be repairable and last long like it used to be. No more disposable junk. Just have to wait a little longer. Last event is taking place right now before the restoration of America. But I still want ACDelco to know that I know.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I think things will change and parts will be made here again in the USA with quality. Just a matter of time. This garbage will not last forever. Paradigm shift coming soon. Goods will be repairable and last long like it used to be. No more disposable junk. Just have to wait a little longer. Last event is taking place right now before the restoration of America. But I still want ACDelco to know that I know.
That's not in the current buisness models being used. Lowest cost of material & labor will always be put before quality & longevity. To them you having to replace a part with their name on it will not be an issue to them as they will direct you towards the warranty, either if it's within the noted time frame which will be the installer honor it but charge the current labor rate or being out where it'll be suggested to purchase another one of their "fine" replacement products. Odds are they don't have any hands in the manufacturing as they have others make the parts. Most companies us the same manufacturing suppliers. Notice how there not really any parts with AC/Delco cast/molded/stamped on those parts. Even other brands really don't bother either. The days of them wanting to put out parts that last like most of our OE parts have done is gone. Even that pride of something saying "Made In USA" won't come back, they'll say "Manufactured in USA With Globally Sourced Materials" is good enough. We as owners of older/classic cars & truck are not their target consumer anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
That's not in the current buisness models being used. Lowest cost of material & labor will always be put before quality & longevity. To them you having to replace a part with their name on it will not be an issue to them as they will direct you towards the warranty, either if it's within the noted time frame which will be the installer honor it but charge the current labor rate or being out where it'll be suggested to purchase another one of their "fine" replacement products. Odds are they don't have any hands in the manufacturing as they have others make the parts. Most companies us the same manufacturing suppliers. Notice how there not really any parts with AC/Delco cast/molded/stamped on those parts. Even other brands really don't bother either. The days of them wanting to put out parts that last like most of our OE parts have done is gone. Even that pride of something saying "Made In USA" won't come back, they'll say "Manufactured in USA With Globally Sourced Materials" is good enough. We as owners of older/classic cars & truck are not their target consumer anymore.
There's even more backstory that we could talk over for a long time too.

Back in 1990, my rough guess is you had 25 million gbodies on the road needing alternators, fan clutches, starters, you name it. Think about how the best seller, the Cutlass Supreme, was cranking out a good 500-800k unit's per year alone during its run.

Now, how many of each part do you think really gets sold anymore? Amd remember, as much as the classic craze is putting cars back on the road, a majority are not running original power trains either.

So, you've got a supply/demand thing going on where higher costs per unit in r&d for new tooling which wears out, set up costs to run a production batch, warehouse costs and inventory costs till someone wants your part... heck, even changes in the idiots that get voted into office, most people aren't aware that the last US based lead smelter was regulated out of business years ago, and, thus EVERY lead battery plate comes from China since there simply isn't a continental us source remaining. All these things get rolled into the quality of what you can get.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Even the OE parts on most current production vehicles are not made in the USA/North America.

I hope you wind up proving doubters wrong, but I seriously doubt it. People (sheeple) today have been conditioned to "want" the newest/latest everything. The general public has no interest in having things repaired...they want a NEW one.

• Agree

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There's a guy somewhere, maybe in Texas, can't recall, who actually rebuilds Delco fan clutches. That was a few years back I was reading about it but for some of these older cars that the owners want OEM parts for, it may be the only option left. If back in the day OEM wasn't available from a 3rd party somewhere, I'd roll with the Hayden next. JMO. I have a few Olds V8 HDC clutches, all stored on their side like they would be found in the car. For some reason I remember reading something about not to store them flat. If they leak, they leak. But if they don't, I think I'm good for life.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If you store them flat store them on the front hub not on the small hub that mounts to the pump Is what I was always told. So far this has worked out fine for me

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor