What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Passed the wonderful bi-annual California smog test. What is crazy is I passed even cleaner than I did two years ago, only change was going to long tube headers and dual cats. You are welcome California for modifying my car and having it burn cleaner than it ever has? IMG_4414.jpg 2022 results

IMG_4415.jpg 2024 results

Reactions: 10 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I'm sure there's an "inspection charge" with that every 6 month visit too.
I'm so glad we don't have that here in KS. No catalytic converter? No brakes? No problem.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
There's some stuff like the safety items I think need to be in working order, I've seen some sketchy stuff on the road over the years.

Then again Darwinism, just don't hit me or anyone else minding their own business.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
There's some stuff like the safety items I think need to be in working order, I've seen some sketchy stuff on the road over the years.

Then again Darwinism, just don't hit me or anyone else minding their own business.
Yeah the unfortunate part is that I understand why the states should do it when you see the sh*t that people in Ohio drive around in, but then PA takes it to the next level of screwery. For the big trucks we used to have a bi yearly inspection to make sure they were safe since they were out running all day every day and go through things quicker, they decided to take that away knowing people only do what you make them. So now all the locals have a DOT vehicle that pulls the commercial stuff trying to get tens of thousands of dollars in fines at a time

Reactions: 1 user

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada

Couldn't agree with you more. We ditched the smog checks here a few years ago, it really wasn't accomplishing much. For most OBDII vehicles the check had been reduced to basically checking that there were no codes being thrown.

But a period safety inspection wouldn't be a bad idea. Had a Ram pull out in front of me from the salvage yard the other day and watched it crab down the road at 50 mph. Rear axle had to have been tracking at least 6 inches to the right of the front.

Reactions: 1 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Couldn't agree with you more. We ditched the smog checks here a few years ago, it really wasn't accomplishing much. For most OBDII vehicles the check had been reduced to basically checking that there were no codes being thrown.

But a period safety inspection wouldn't be a bad idea. Had a Ram pull out in front of me from the salvage yard the other day and watched it crab down the road at 50 mph. Rear axle had to have been tracking at least 6 inches to the right of the front.
it's RAM, isn't that normal from the factory? 😁

Reactions: 1 user

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Newer cats?
No the side we sniffed was the same cat I used last time. What really changed was last check was done with shorty headers that Y'd into a single cat and then split into dual exhaust. Now I am running true duals with a cat per side. So I think having a big cat meant to handle all 8 cylinders now only having to burn off 4 cylinders really made a huge difference.

It has shocked me that with how strict California is on a lot of things that we do not have to go through a safety inspection only a sniff test.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor