What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
No the side we sniffed was the same cat I used last time. What really changed was last check was done with shorty headers that Y'd into a single cat and then split into dual exhaust. Now I am running true duals with a cat per side. So I think having a big cat meant to handle all 8 cylinders now only having to burn off 4 cylinders really made a huge difference.

It has shocked me that with how strict California is on a lot of things that we do not have to go through a safety inspection only a sniff test.
State makes more money from fines at an accident than doing safety inspections?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
State makes more money from fines at an accident than doing safety inspections?
Lots of states don't do safety/brake inspections. Even though the larger GA counties do emissions test (basically near atlanta) nowhere does a safety.

The lectures I have to give people I know about their damn tires is crazy. Their mentality: rock hard, age cracked, bubble in the sidewall with visible nails in the tread held with tire slime? SEND IT!

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I have been kind of torn on the whole inspection issue. Back when Oklahoma used to have one at least you knew all the lights on the vehicle worked once a year. However the problem was that it was a major money loser for the shops doing the inspections. No technician that I knew even wanted to deal with it because it was such a loser. At that time a state inspection was nine dollars. As I recall Oklahoma and did state inspections around the turn of the century

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
starting next year, Texas has done away with safety inspections. but we still have emissions inspection

Starting in 2025, drivers in Texas will no longer be required to take their vehicles for an annual inspection. Instead, a yearly fee of $7.50, equivalent to the existing inspection fee, will be levied. This new law eliminates the need for a physical trip to an inspection shop, simplifying the process for vehicle owners.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Lots of states don't do safety/brake inspections. Even though the larger GA counties do emissions test (basically near atlanta) nowhere does a safety.

The lectures I have to give people I know about their damn tires is crazy. Their mentality: rock hard, age cracked, bubble in the sidewall with visible nails in the tread held with tire slime? SEND IT!
This reminds me when I was introduced to the "Ohio Recap" tire when I worked at Pep Boys. The tire truck was picking up the old tires & the driver showed us the tires from the Ohio stores that had duct tape covering the belts & threads. There were more than one set from several stores on that load. A lot of them used silver tape.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I have been kind of torn on the whole inspection issue. Back when Oklahoma used to have one at least you knew all the lights on the vehicle worked once a year. However the problem was that it was a major money loser for the shops doing the inspections. No technician that I knew even wanted to deal with it because it was such a loser. At that time a state inspection was nine dollars. As I recall Oklahoma and did state inspections around the turn of the century
Back in the late 1980s early 90s in Mass I was happy to pay the annual inspection fee because of the time it saved me.

Every two years I'd swap either high or low beams out so no headlight was more than 4 years old right before inspection. Why? They made sure the bulbs were properly aimed at the grid in the back of the bay as part of the inspection. I sold off my used bulbs for half of new, and never had to bother aligning them myself, and, never suffered blown bulbs either.

The fact is they'd do a whole bunch of grunt work for free, smaller swap outs of stuff included. I'd even talk them into doing a tire rotation and winter/spring changeover for free when doing the ball joint check - fronts to rear, snows to trunk, and trunk to fronts. I also made it a point to buy gas there twice a month, so, if you were borderline on emissions they'd play with things a bit thinking maybe it was their gas...

YMMV, but, it used to be nice the types of relationships you could build with businesses in small towns.

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada

Implementation of the inspections is always touchy. Too cheap, and shops don't want to do it, so they do it very superficially. Too expensive, and it's a PR nightmare amid public outcry. If the state subsidizes it, well then it's a cost item and easy pickings for being cut out completely.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH

They’d hate NH! Lights( all of them), tire wear, wipers,brakes,front end,exhaust for leaks, and defrost/heat. Then emissions. Oh and no cracks in windshield that impairs visibility or through rust holes into passenger area/ sharp or metal sticking out.
BUT mid 80’s back no emissions and cats and air pump are not necessary. 😏Price of inspection now is $45.

Last edited:

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
They’d hate NH! Lights( all of them), tire wear, wipers,brakes,front end,exhaust for leaks, and defrost/heat. Then emissions. Oh and no cracks in windshield that impairs visibility or through rust holes into passenger area/ sharp or metal sticking out.
BUT mid 80’s back no emissions and cats and air pump are not necessary. 😏Price of inspection now is $45.
yep, I remember those rules from being up 30+ yrs ago. bought my 67 Impala convertible in Milton Mills

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
screwed the console to the floor with self tappers. fine enough for now.
also after 10 years i finally put my buick emblem back on.
now i need to find where my limited badge and my trunk lock bezel went...
434204757_783351163679616_7706603781273386283_n.jpg
434128181_346784621094723_2343777300695657216_n.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor