Working on the wagon..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
1983mailbuwagon said:
looking good. wish there wasn`t a foot of snow on the ground and I could still work on mine :lol:
=========================================================================================================
Thanks man, It will be a while before it looks anywhere as nice as yours. As for snow, that's right, you're up in the wilds of central Canada. All I can say is "brrrrrrr".

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Looking good Jack! I too have been waiting for some pictures. I filled the plate pocket of a spare gate, it was a pain to get the double curve, but it is a miner curve each way. The bumper looks great too!

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
liquidh8 said:
Looking good Jack! I too have been waiting for some pictures. I filled the plate pocket of a spare gate, it was a pain to get the double curve, but it is a miner curve each way. The bumper looks great too!
Thanks Jim!
Progress has been alittle slower than my liking, but as long as the weather holds out I'll continue to make progress. I was so close to filling the tailgate pocket. I even have a piece cut out for it. I was pretty much able to duplicate the curve with a little bending and tweaking...but decided to stick to the stock license plate pocket. I was also going to cut the pocket into the bumper, but I bagged the idea.
I shot the tailgate and bumper with a few coats of Slicksand. I thinned it out with a bit of Acetone. Man what a difference it made. It helped it flow out nicer. It took a bit longer to dry, but it dried quite hard.
I'll take some more pics when I get the bumper bolted back together and on the car. I still plan to narrow the front bumper.
The front might be alittle more involved. I'll be cutting it at both ends. It still needs to clear the air dam.

Have you ever used Valspar (John Deere) Blitz Black? I'm thinking of using it under my hood, behind the front fenders, firewall and frame rails...and possibly the B and C pillars/ window frames. I've heard it's pretty durable stuff and you have the option of adding a hardener, which is the way I'll go.
Any new developments on your wagon? I know you've made alot of progress over these past months.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Jack, I think it'll look good with the plate in the stock spot, tucked and smoothed bumper too. That slicksand is great stuff. My brother bucked up for another devilbiss gun, this one with a 1.8 and a 2.2 tip, the 2.2 is a must for the slicksand without thinning it.

I have been working on mine the past few days, all rot repair. I added some pics in my thread. I have been working in the wheelwell today. fixing rot in there.

As far as the blitz black, I have read thread where people used it. I personally decided to just use the PPG base/clear for all around the windows. I left it gloss. Eastwood sells some nice underhood black which I have used, looks good and lasts. If all else fails, you could go with a base clear with a flattener in the clear. But the blitz black I am sure is cheaper than a base clear ya know?

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
Jack i think these are the very first pics ive seen of your car, besides your avatar of course! looking good man! id like to tuck my bumpers someday, bodywork is pretty much done on my wagon but getting too chilly to paint it in an unheated garage. :(

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
liquidh8 said:
Jack, I think it'll look good with the plate in the stock spot, tucked and smoothed bumper too. That slicksand is great stuff. My brother bucked up for another devilbiss gun, this one with a 1.8 and a 2.2 tip, the 2.2 is a must for the slicksand without thinning it.

I have been working on mine the past few days, all rot repair. I added some pics in my thread. I have been working in the wheelwell today. fixing rot in there.

As far as the blitz black, I have read thread where people used it. I personally decided to just use the PPG base/clear for all around the windows. I left it gloss. Eastwood sells some nice underhood black which I have used, looks good and lasts. If all else fails, you could go with a base clear with a flattener in the clear. But the blitz black I am sure is cheaper than a base clear ya know?
Jim,
Like I said, I was all set to close in the tailgate, but kinda switched gears. a friend of mine was talking me into filling it and using a drop down license plate frame and also filling the rear side marker lights.

As for the Blitz Black, I might try it on the radiator support and a few other areas. It is supposed to be durable. I know hot rodders everywhere have been using it to paint their whole cars. I think Valspar also has a similar product that I think is urethane based, and alittle pricier. Even the hardener cost more.
The gun I use for the Slicksand has a 2.0 tip. The little bit of Acetone works wonders. Although, I think it does change the consistency somewhat. I used a different gun with a 1.8 tip for the urethane primer. It's not quite as thick as the Slicksand.
I may check out the Eastwood underhood black.
Thanks for all your advice. I will check out your new pics in your build thread.

Happy Turkey Day!

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
maliburacinfreak said:
Jack i think these are the very first pics ive seen of your car, besides your avatar of course! looking good man! id like to tuck my bumpers someday, bodywork is pretty much done on my wagon but getting too chilly to paint it in an unheated garage. :(
Thanks Lonnie!
I can't tell you how long it's been that I wanted to narrow and tuck the bumpers. It's been on the backburner. I guess you didn't finish your satin black paint job. It looked like you were almost there according to your last pics.
Yeah, the paint won't dry if it's too chilly. Maybe you can borrow a space heater and finish it up. I guess the trick is to get the metal warmed up.
Your car definitely has the old school look with the satin black, red rallys and police caps. I think it will cool when it's done.
Good luck with it. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Lookin' good, Jack!

I like the narrowed bumpers, but mine's a driver, and I'm always afraid of the idiots behind me. I have considered narrowing slightly less, and thinning the sides to where they would go past the quarters without punching the pocket.

Someday...someday

Anyway, great to see you getting some progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor