Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Ribbedroof said:
Lookin' good, Jack!

I like the narrowed bumpers, but mine's a driver, and I'm always afraid of the idiots behind me. I have considered narrowing slightly less, and thinning the sides to where they would go past the quarters without punching the pocket.

Someday...someday

Anyway, great to see you getting some progress!
Thanks Brian!
As much as I like the look of the narrowed tucked bumpers, I still have the fear of getting bopped in the rear. Especially nowadays with the amount of distracted idiots out there...and the placement of the taillights on these cars.
As cool as it looks having the taillights down low in the bumper, someone tailgating you won't see them if they're too close.
A third brake light is also on the list...or light bar with turn signals, stop lights, etc.

Ben, who is building the awesome '79 Cutlass Cruiser, narrowed his rear bumper, but kept the fillers and fully inflated energy absorbers.
Hope you've been enjoying your new wagon. It looks like a nice cruiser.
Happy Holidays!

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I spent the day sanding and filling some small dents and dings in my rust free fenders. I want to get the fenders and hood prepped and put aside as well.
I still have to pick up my core support and '81 header panel from my friend 3 hrs away. I'd like to get them ready and put aside.
I was going to take more pics, but tomorrow is another day.
MVC-778S.jpg

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
looking good. I too worry about the idiots behind me on the i phones, but wit the color I am using, and the 18" wide LED third brake light from a suburban i am putting in the spoiler/air deflector, I hope to be ok. If I get hit, anything under 15 MPH ain't gonna make a difference with a bumper or not TBH, I know. :cry:

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Looking good Jack!
Good see ya getting it done :D
I havent done squat to my wagon been sitting for a couple months I gotta put the carb back together and get it mobile and in the garage before the cold really comes up here.
Your doing exactly what I want to do to mine.
I was thinkin of the LED strips for my rear bumper too.
I found these a while ago
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/leds_taillights.html
scroll down on page
kinda pricey. but theyre ready to install.
Oh Yeah, Happy Thanksgiving!
Im thankful to still have my Bu even though its still a pos. :lol:
Santas bringing me some gift cards this year so I can get a welder from Harbor Freight this this year :D

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
liquidh8 said:
looking good. I too worry about the idiots behind me on the i phones, but wit the color I am using, and the 18" wide LED third brake light from a suburban i am putting in the spoiler/air deflector, I hope to be ok. If I get hit, anything under 15 MPH ain't gonna make a difference with a bumper or not TBH, I know. :cry:
===================================================================================================
Jim,
I'm definitely game for an ultra visible 3rd brake light configuration. Most cars you see today have their taillights up high.
I've always liked the look of the taillights down low, but they're highly impractical.
I might be making a pair of flat custom lenses, but they would not have the light defusers like the stock lenses would have. That's where an array of LED's would come into play. They can get quite pricey though.
I took off the deflector and swapped hinges to see what it would look like without it. I may try that look for awhile.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
79wagonator said:
Looking good Jack!
Good see ya getting it done :D
I havent done squat to my wagon been sitting for a couple months I gotta put the carb back together and get it mobile and in the garage before the cold really comes up here.
Your doing exactly what I want to do to mine.
I was thinkin of the LED strips for my rear bumper too.
I found these a while ago
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/leds_taillights.html
scroll down on page
kinda pricey. but theyre ready to install.
Oh Yeah, Happy Thanksgiving!
Im thankful to still have my Bu even though its still a pos. :lol:
Santas bringing me some gift cards this year so I can get a welder from Harbor Freight this this year :D
========================================================================================================
Hi Dave,
Sounds like you haven't given up on the wagon. That's cool. It's taken me awhile to come around on mine.
I've lost interest for awhile, but I've regained my enthusiasm to get it done. Especially when you see progress unfolding. It gives you alittle incentive to keep plugging away.
Thanks for the link to the LED's .Some nice products, but certainly ain't cheap. I'm still possibly considering going with steelies and older Chevy dogdish caps. Unless I can score a set of 16" later style ZQ8's.
Talk to you soon man. Take care.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It was a nice day, so i thought I'd continue prepping and priming..
MVC-779S.jpg

MVC-780S.jpg

MVC-782S.jpg

MVC-781S.jpg

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
LSCustoms said:
your work looks nice!
Thanks Skip!
I appreciate the compliment, coming from someone that does very nice work. 8)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is nice work and I'm jealous your able to be doing at outside, it was a reasonably nice day here too, I only had to wear my leather coat to stay warm... :(

are you painting your car a solid color, a solid color or a real light metallic is nice so each part can be painted individually and then reassembled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor