12:1 Comp bbc on e85??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2013
Hey guys just joined here, I picked up a 79 malibu few months ago, its a v6 which sucks but it was cheap. any who im wanting to put 454 in, maybe bore it if need be. heres the plan, I want to run around 12:1 compression, on e85 and a 200 shot when im at the track. It'll be 80% street, 20% strip. solid flat tappit cam. 099 heads ported and a 950 carb ill send off to get converted to run e85. anyone here running a similar set up? Also wondoring if that will push the limit of stock rods and crank??

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
If you're gonna go that route why not get a rotating assembly from Scat or Eagle to be safe? I got my complete 496 stroker assembly for $1300 shipped from Scat(through Skip White on ebay). Thats flywheel, balancer, pistons, bearings, rings, wristpins, crank, and rods plus it was all balanced. The rods and crank are 4340 forged. Just saying if you're gonna build a high compression/high performance big block for the track I wouldnt be relying on 30+ year old parts.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Not knowing what your stock rods and crank consist of, which may be a cast crank and 3/8" rods regardless I would definitely say do a full upgrade on the rotating assembly if you plan on using nitrous.
And there is barely much of a price difference if you go with a stroker kit ( 489 or 496) and by the time you pay to have your stock rods reconditioned and have upgraded rod bolts installed, crank turned, buy new forged pistons,rings etc. and then get everything balanced you would be better off just buying a forged balanced rotating assembly from Summit Racing, Jegs or Ebay, etc.
As far as Skip White Performance they have a good reputation and high ratings and I do think they have the most affordable and complete kits out there, I know most of their kits use a Scat 9000 crank and they use Probe FPS pistons and the assemblies are balanced on a Hines balancer that is only a couple of years old, when it comes time for my next project SBC build I will get a kit from them.
Ebay can be your friend you just have to shop around and check ratings and reviews from places you are considering buying from.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
seven9malibu said:
im not sure what pistons come with those kits but im wanting srp. AND im not big on using ebay...
The guy sells through ebay and his engine shop. Its Scat stuff not no name generic parts. Google Skip White and see

Blue86Monte

Master Mechanic
Mar 25, 2009
St. Louis, Mo
Contact Mark Sullins for your E85 conversion. He is over on YellowBullet.com under the E85 section. He works wonders with this stuff..

SmoknMali

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2013
That sure is one stout set up to run on the street 80% of the time...I from a stand point have to say that there is more to a 496 that is need than just the rotating assembly....just keep that in thought. We just put one together with the 4340 assembly...all said and done 6500 and is a beast. Off the trailer 6.40's 3300lb car and no gas sprayed.. Also finished helping my buddy install a 461 with a hydraulic roller and 781 heads it made respectable horsepower 550+. Weigh your options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor