E85 guys... questions

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
When I started my build I didn't realize that E85 could be an option with Terminator X max. After reading here and online (Sloppy/Simpson) I am considering the GM flex fuel sensor setup. I am n/a but 11.4 to 1 compression with somewhat mild cam. I have access to E85 everywhere near me. The only cons I can see are clearing out the E before winter storage but that's easy. If I can run more safely and pick up decent power I'm all in. What say you guys?
BTW my fuel pump, lines etc are all E rated. Have to check on my injectors but they were a cheap buy at the time and really need something with specs which mine didn't have and more lb/hour.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You're running NA correct? If so, don't bother. You're only going to gain about 7hp. The real benefit to E85 is under boost, whether it's a supercharger or a turbo.

Reactions: 2 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
E85 may be cheaper but when you do the comparison of MPG I think gas comes out ahead. at least it did last time I looked at using it about 7 yrs ago

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
You're running NA correct? If so, don't bother. You're only going to gain about 7hp. The real benefit to E85 is under boost, whether it's a supercharger or a turbo.
Yes NA. I understand the boost benefits but I've been watching a lot of tuners talking about NA higher compression builds tuned for E. I'll have to check more but I was seeing 20 - 30 horsepower gains. For the minimal outlay for sensor and wiring that's pretty inexpensive. A tune on E would increase timing along the curve along with the extra O2 in the fuel and cooling affects should be worth more than 7hp. Jmo

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
E85 may be cheaper but when you do the comparison of MPG I think gas comes out ahead. at least it did last time I looked at using it about 7 yrs ago
It's around 2.66 a gallon here but I'm not looking for economy or saving cash.
I had a GMC pickup that was flex and when I had a full tank of E85 it was very noticeable. Much better acceleration. I don't remember if they gave hp reading for it though.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Just watched that one plus half a dozen others. Lol
They only gained 6 or 7 like you said, however, I don't know what compression that LS had. Others I've watched gain 20/20ish hp/trq. I am 11.4 so I guess I'm just confused. We'll see. Not saying yes or no.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
No reason not to as far as I’m concerned at 11.5:1 for the detonation resistance alone.

Put the sensor in the supply side of the fuel system. An in-line setup makes it very simple. If you want it out of sight, then mount on a frame rail or back near the tank.

The concern is of aeration. If the sensor sees any type of aeration then it reads 0% ethanol. This will be less of a concern for your NA build, but can be catastrophic for boost depending on whether your base tune is with gas or ethanol.

Reactions: 3 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
No reason not to as far as I’m concerned at 11.5:1 for the detonation resistance alone.

Put the sensor in the supply side of the fuel system. An in-line setup makes it very simple. If you want it out of sight, then mount on a frame rail or back near the tank.

The concern is of aeration. If the sensor sees any type of aeration then it reads 0% ethanol. This will be less of a concern for your NA build, but can be catastrophic for boost depending on whether your base tune is with gas or ethanol.

I don't think aeration will be a concern for me. I have the extra fuel fittings to make these work. Here's Sloppy wiring and GM sensor. $75 each and Sloppy has a base tune for using flex fuel that i can use for free. It's just a matter of a few key strokes. I've been working on learning to tune. Any recommendations on tuning, reading etc. ?
Thinking about Joe Simpsons stuff. He explains things very well for me at least.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Happel has a video on it that explains how to setup 3 1D tables to have it work flawlessly. It works flawlessly for me. But my base tune is in ethanol, not gas. So I’m subtracting fuel from the ethanol base rather than adding from a gas base tune.

Basically I’m defaulting to too much fuel if I have a sensor or aeration issue. It’s somewhat of a safety setup in the event that poop goes wrong haha (which it sometimes does)

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor