+12v with key on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Yup, trigger wire can even be a 16 or 18, not much load there.
Well if that's the case, then how's it sound to splice 4 - 16 gauge trigger wires to an add-a-fuse with a 14 gauge wire and a 10 amp fuse?

Just trying to weigh my options

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Here's a pic for clarity of what Ive got going on

Attachments

• 84EB5D2C-3D3C-4ECC-AC0B-542B6BDB63CF.jpeg
    84EB5D2C-3D3C-4ECC-AC0B-542B6BDB63CF.jpeg
    819.8 KB · Views: 59

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Well if that's the case, then how's it sound to splice 4 - 16 gauge trigger wires to an add-a-fuse with a 14 gauge wire and a 10 amp fuse?

Just trying to weigh my options
That fuse box is fused so I wouldn't add anything inline. Find an open blade out, wire into that one and fuse that one in the factory box.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
and fuse that one in the factory box.
Sorry im not following this last part.

Factory fuse block is fused, do not add an inline fuse on trigger wires. Got it. So i can tap direct to factory fuse block and do not add a fuse, right?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Sorry im not following this last part.

Factory fuse block is fused, do not add an inline fuse on trigger wires. Got it. So i can tap direct to factory fuse block and do not add a fuse, right?
Yup. What I mean by that part is in the factory fuse Box, basically find a terminal that is going out. You have 2 terminals on a fuse blade, in which is coming from the Ignition circuit on the car, and out which is going to whatever. Take that out and splice your trigger wires to that. Then its already fused without adding anything extra.

Basically you're looking for an open fuse in the fuse box you can use.

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Yup. What I mean by that part is in the factory fuse Box, basically find a terminal that is going out. You have 2 terminals on a fuse blade, in which is coming from the Ignition circuit on the car, and out which is going to whatever. Take that out and splice your trigger wires to that. Then its already fused without adding anything extra.

Basically you're looking for an open fuse in the fuse box you can use.
Ok got it, thanks for the help. Was basically what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure it was correct.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Ok got it, thanks for the help. Was basically what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure it was correct.
Yeah, I know what I said earlier was a little bit confusing but then I started thinking about it, you can just add to the factory Box without having to add anything extra.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Yeah, I know what I said earlier was a little bit confusing but then I started thinking about it, you can just add to the factory Box without having to add anything extra
No problem. I got the splice idea from the factory harness which has a main wire splice on the pass valve cover area, one going to alternator and one going to starter I believe

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Yeah, I know what I said earlier was a little bit confusing but then I started thinking about it, you can just add to the factory Box without having to add anything extra.

Ok curveball, lol. I found a smokin deal on a new battery today so i threw that in my truck and i have the old one now for the car. This allowed me to dig into the last of the wiring....

So i previously had inquired about the original two prong oil pressure switch and ended up swapping that switch out for a holley 3 prong switch. My thought was i'd have a "choke light" on the dash and may need to splice the two existing wires together to shut that off. Well it turns out that is not the case, and one of the wires is hot with key on. So i used this for my 12v-key-on signal thinking this is cleaner than (A) tying this wire back and (B) running new wire all the way to the fuse block. So i think I am all set although I am unsure what circuit this wire is on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor