140 mph tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

78sik ick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2012
Does anyone know of a somewhat inexpensive tire that is safe to go to or over 140 mph that is a 14 or 15 inch rim? I'm looking for some new fronts for my street strip car and was hoping I could get away with just having 1 set of fronts.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
inexpensensive is a relative term, how much do you want to spend? I have Goodrich G force that are a little less than $200 per tire but are good value as far as I'm concerned. In the US that tire is probably at least $50 cheaper... :cry:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
tc1959 said:
I have never seen a V or Z rated 14 or 15 inch tire. :?

from someone else's search for Audi tires...

According to my Tire Rack search, you have several options in the 205/60/15 size, which would give you an RD of 24.68" (still smaller, but less than 1/2") They are as follows:

Yokohama AVS Intermediate Z rated, $99. These are awesome tires, but they don't last long.

Pirelli P6000 Z rated, $119. I don't know much about this tire, but I would expect that it is less sticky than the Yoko, but will last longer.

Bridgestone Potenza RE-71, which is V rated. These are very sticky tires, and don't last long, but at $78 a piece, who cares?

If you wanted to go with a 225/55/15, there was one option available. It was a Goodyear Eagle GS-N, which is V rated, and is $165 a piece

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
pontiacgp said:
tc1959 said:
I have never seen a V or Z rated 14 or 15 inch tire. :?

from someone else's search for Audi tires...

According to my Tire Rack search, you have several options in the 205/60/15 size, which would give you an RD of 24.68" (still smaller, but less than 1/2") They are as follows:

Yokohama AVS Intermediate Z rated, $99. These are awesome tires, but they don't last long.

Pirelli P6000 Z rated, $119. I don't know much about this tire, but I would expect that it is less sticky than the Yoko, but will last longer.

Bridgestone Potenza RE-71, which is V rated. These are very sticky tires, and don't last long, but at $78 a piece, who cares?

If you wanted to go with a 225/55/15, there was one option available. It was a Goodyear Eagle GS-N, which is V rated, and is $165 a piece

I think he's looking for some skinny front runners.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
The ratings are for sustained speeds. If you're only gonna be that high for a few seconds they really aren't needed.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
jrm81bu said:
The ratings are for sustained speeds. If you're only gonna be that high for a few seconds they really aren't needed.

X2 for a street/strip car you don't need a tire rated for your top speed especailly if it's a frontrunner with limited choices.
Are you looking for a bias ply or radial?
Just curious what your drivetrain is if you are expecting a mid 9 second quarter mile at 140 mph?

RocketGremlin455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2012
Galloway NJ
I ran a 235 60 15 Pirelli P600 (which is W rated to 168 on tire racks site) on the front on my car, but they are a summer tire and I got the pair used from a buddy's shop. I loved them...Then I got a flat in one when I took my car out for a little sprint in the winter. I gave the other away as I wasn't spending $260 a pop for a replacement. Matter of fact, the shredded tire is still in my trunk on the Torque Thrust.

78sik ick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2012
Ya im just looking for new front tires that i can drive around town on but will also hold up when I make a 1/4 mile pass. Mine are weather cracked so there days are up for track use. I like the BFG radial t/a's but were only rated to ~120, but if I understand right I should be okay for just a few seconds?

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Yeah you will be just fine I would say. I have some cheap whatevers on both sets of my wheels with no issues.

I'm also a little curious of your setup lol if you don't mind :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor