BUICK 1964 Skylark Coupe Project

Nov 4, 2012
This is the formal introductory post/eventual build thread for my new project car. Some of you have already seen that I recently sold my '97 Ram Diesel and I committed to use some of the funds to find a roller for my Buick 350 I had built several years back. I was looking for either another Regal or a 64-67 Skylark. I love G bodies but the early A bodies are some of my favorite cars GM ever built so I felt obligated to include them in my search. It didn't take long to find this car about an hour north of home. It is a 1964 Buick Skylark. It was originally a California car and it still has California black plates on it that were last registered in 1981.
20230129_110906.jpg

The previous owner told me it sat outside in California for 15-20 years and then sat in a garage in Ohio partially disassembled for another 15-20 years before he got ahold of it. He bought it in its partially disassembled state with the intent of reselling it.
20230129_114221.jpg
20230129_113557.jpg

According to the VIN it was a V8 car and built in Flint. The cowl tag that came with it is detached and I don't believe its even from this car. From what I can tell, the car is mostly in its original configuration. The color looks original (code R Desert Beige?), and the interior looks to be original saddle brown. I can see some peeling paint in spots so it's had at least one repaint. Not sure if the roof was the same color as the rest of the body or painted white. It appears to have factory A/C, column shift automatic with bucket seats. No power brakes or power steering. Four wheel drums obviously. The brake lines are all intact and I would bet that if they were bled they might even work.

The body definitely looks like a car from California should. It has some pinholes in the passenger side floor and a couple baseball-sized holes under the rear seat. I suspect the passenger side quarter will have some pinholes at the very bottom. The lip of the trunk opening near the rear window where the trunk seal presses on is thin but not totally gone. The passenger front fender should probably be replaced, not because of rust but because there is about a half inch of mud on the top of it. The doors, rockers, inner fenders, hood, deck lid, trunk floor, and windshield frames are all solid with nothing more than surface rust and sun baked paint. The doors open and close beautifully.
20230129_111217.jpg
20230129_110808.jpg
20230129_110448.jpg

Screenshot_20230129-161353_Facebook.jpg

20230203_140806.jpg

The chrome on the bumpers is nice and most of the other chrome is presentable. I have the trim pieces for the quarter panels. I don't have rocker panel moldings or front and rear windshield moldings. The glass is decent from what I saw, though I haven't examined it super close.

The interior is rough and I fully expect to replace most of it. The seat frames should be usable. The dash binnacle has a split on top and will need repaired or replaced. The cluster isn't perfect but with some polish it will probably clean up and be presentable. There are some more parts in the trunk that I have to go through still. I towed it home today with my F-150 and the roads were completely dry until I got north of I-80 when it turned into a salty, slushy mess. I wasn't thrilled about towing the car through it but I didn't have much choice. Other than that, the trip home was uneventful. U-Haul car transport trailers are awesome by the way.
20230203_111514.jpg

20230203_122817.jpg

20230203_135310.jpg

It is currently 6°F and wind chill is -3°F so it is too cold to rinse it off but it is going to be above freezing tomorrow afternoon so I should be able to hose it off then.

• Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 27 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Nice score Joe. You are now forgiven for scrapping the Regal in my books.
😅
Carry on. Will be watching with interest on this one.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Project choice approved.

That's a great home for the 350!

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
This is the formal introductory post/eventual build thread for my new project car. Some of you have already seen that I recently sold my '97 Ram Diesel and I committed to use some of the funds to find a roller for my Buick 350 I had built several years back. I was looking for either another Regal or a 64-67 Skylark. I love G bodies but the early A bodies are some of my favorite cars GM ever built so I felt obligated to include them in my search. It didn't take long to find this car about an hour north of home. It is a 1964 Buick Skylark. It was originally a California car and it still has California black plates on it that were last registered in 1981.
View attachment 215437
The previous owner told me it sat outside in California for 15-20 years and then sat in a garage in Ohio partially disassembled for another 15-20 years before he got ahold of it. He bought it in its partially disassembled state with the intent of reselling it.
View attachment 215443 View attachment 215442
According to the VIN it was a V8 car and built in Flint. The cowl tag that came with it is detached and I don't believe its even from this car. From what I can tell, the car is mostly in its original configuration. The color looks original (code R Desert Beige?), and the interior looks to be original saddle brown. I can see some peeling paint in spots so it's had at least one repaint. Not sure if the roof was the same color as the rest of the body or painted white. It appears to have factory A/C, column shift automatic with bucket seats. No power brakes or power steering. Four wheel drums obviously. The brake lines are all intact and I would bet that if they were bled they might even work.

The body definitely looks like a car from California should. It has some pinholes in the passenger side floor and a couple baseball-sized holes under the rear seat. I suspect the passenger side quarter will have some pinholes at the very bottom. The lip of the trunk opening near the rear window where the trunk seal presses on is thin but not totally gone. The passenger front fender should probably be replaced, not because of rust but because there is about a half inch of mud on the top of it. The doors, rockers, inner fenders, hood, deck lid, trunk floor, and windshield frames are all solid with nothing more than surface rust and sun baked paint. The doors open and close beautifully.
View attachment 215441 View attachment 215440 View attachment 215438
View attachment 215444
View attachment 215449
The chrome on the bumpers is nice and most of the other chrome is presentable. I have the trim pieces for the quarter panels. I don't have rocker panel moldings or front and rear windshield moldings. The glass is decent from what I saw, though I haven't examined it super close.

The interior is rough and I fully expect to replace most of it. The seat frames should be usable. The dash binnacle has a split on top and will need repaired or replaced. The cluster isn't perfect but with some polish it will probably clean up and be presentable. There are some more parts in the trunk that I have to go through still. I towed it home today with my F-150 and the roads were completely dry until I got north of I-80 when it turned into a salty, slushy mess. I wasn't thrilled about towing the car through it but I didn't have much choice. Other than that, the trip home was uneventful. U-Haul car transport trailers are awesome by the way.
View attachment 215445
View attachment 215446
View attachment 215447
It is currently 6°F and wind chill is -3°F so it is too cold to rinse it off but it is going to be above freezing tomorrow afternoon so I should be able to hose it off then.
Ever stop to think whether pagrunt put in some special calls to salt the roads home for you? Or, at the very least, a well-placed bribe could've gotten the influence to hold off salting it till you passed by? For future reference, sounds like his preference is rolled small coins.

As for the car, looks very solid for having spent those years outside CA. Should be a fun project, a bit more to put together but all the right bits are there to make it easier.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Nice car, looks very solid and don't even mind the colour. I am more partial to the 68 to 72. That said, I think this Buick might have the best styling of those early A bodies. I say interior, body work, paint, your Buick 350, 2004R and appropriate gears and posi in the factory 8.2 10 bolt. Will be watching.

Reactions: 3 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I always liked that body style . Your lucky the windshield frames are good. I was rebuilding the windshield frames on Pa cars like that in the early 70s . In 75 my buddy had that same car . Only his was a factory 4 speed .
Atleast finding windshield mouldings shouldn’t be difficult, all the GMs of 64-65 used the same ones

Reactions: 5 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Ever stop to think whether @pagrunt put in some special calls to salt the roads home for you? Or, at the very least, a well-placed bribe could've gotten the influence to hold off salting it till you passed by? For future reference, sounds like his preference is rolled small coins.
If I could have the pull to do that we wouldn't be having the limited 1 gallon of washer fluid for a shift only during a storm at my county.

So a set of '69-'72 front disc's, power steering box, TKK 5 speed, some UMI goodies, maybe the '67 dual circuit master cylinder with power assist could be some good suggestions. Cause we have to spend your Dodge money for you.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice score, man.
That was one of the nicer body styles of that era. I'd like the sport wagon version of that with the vista roof.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Maybe a brief post to refresh our memories on the 350 build?

Reactions: 6 users
Nov 4, 2012
Thanks everyone. I was thrilled to find a California car this close to home. The 64-65s are my favorite GM midsize, I love the roofline. Lots of parts interchange with Chevelle, Olds, Lemans and their derivatives so a lot of stuff is reproduced. I'll layout some ideas I have for it in just a bit. Glad to have you all following along.

Maybe a brief post to refresh our memories on the 350 build?
Good idea. I'll have one incoming.

Reactions: 9 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor