Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Was this a factory stick car?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
A GearVendors behind the M22 wouldn't suck. Having one behind the Toploader in the Galaxie makes the car.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
For the cost of a M22 the 5 speed option might be a something to look at. But then T10's don't seem to be that bad in price for new units. I should dig out my '64-'72 Chevelle Hollander book. for some quick reference on a few general things that Specials shared.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Yeah, M22s get you within a few bucks of a TKX. You might be able to find a TKO 600 for a little less, if there's any left.

Reactions: 4 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I dig the idea of the manual

But honestly I can't recommend an original used Muncie or similar 4 speed based on my used t56 experience. A t56 is not a Muncie but it's a used trans that has a lot of parallels.

I don't save a Muncie is bad because of the non OD, but every OEM Muncie based trans is worn out. If it's rebuilt by a known builder it's almost the same price as a warrantied new TKX 5spd.

Local muncies are $1200-1800. They don't have shifters, bells, clutches, just the bare trans. I almost guarantee they need some light to medium repair and they are 50 years old at this time.

A new TKX is $2800 and it has a shifter.

Honestly I got a 97 t56 that shifted good for $500+a disassembled LS back in 2016, a great deal. It slowly wore out but didn't shift great last year. It got a rebuild to the tune of $1300 in parts, and mine took relatively little in unexpected components as only the main shaft and one gear were worn. If I paid someone to rebuild it, maybe $300 in labor and actually paid normal retail for the trans of $1000 I'd be in the trans $2600. A brand new magnum F t56 is $3400. I saved $800 yeah, but if I had any more parts worn out it would have been the same or less to go brand new.

The issue is service parts for manuals are expensive, essentially every trans is beat to snot, and the new warrantied, clean trans to your door is almost the same price and better with an OD that unless you are doing a numbers matching resto or already have a core that's known you buy yourself into a condition where you know its not full of metal shavings.

• Winner
  • Useful
Reactions: 8 users
Nov 4, 2012
Well that definitely gives me something to think about. I was leaning towards a 4 speed for era-correctness and RAWK CRUSHER street-cred from the New Balance crowd at the car cruises but when you take the price into consideration, and new vs. used like 81cutlass pointed out, a TKX may be justifiable. That purchase is down the line a bit but you guys definitely make a good point.

Was this a factory stick car?
It was originally an automatic.

Reactions: 4 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah, M22s get you within a few bucks of a TKX. You might be able to find a TKO 600 for a little less, if there's any left.

TKO600 shifts like hot garbage compared to TKX from what I hear. For a small difference in price there's absolutely no reason to go TKO.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Well that definitely gives me something to think about. I was leaning towards a 4 speed for era-correctness and RAWK CRUSHER street-cred from the New Balance crowd at the car cruises but when you take the price into consideration, and new vs. used like @81cutlass pointed out, a TKX may be justifiable. That purchase is down the line a bit but you guys definitely make a good point.
Good chance Renicks may have the needed BOP bell housing at the top of the hill in the pile.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Any idea what ratio your current rearend is? BOPs tend to be taller than Chevys, generally speaking.

Nov 4, 2012
Good chance Renicks may have the needed BOP bell housing at the top of the hill in the pile.
That would be very cool.
Any idea what ratio your current rearend is? BOPs tend to be taller than Chevys, generally speaking.
Being a V8 automatic car, it should have 2.78s from what I've read. I haven't confirmed that though.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor