1970 Olds Cutlass S Rat Rod Style

No O ring on the base of this water neck, a gasket only. The top section has a O ring to rotate the outlet. If there was one, they never gave me one

Reactions: 1 user
Well I just couldn't stand the terrible green paint job I put on my 70S anymore. I am removing most of the paint and treating the rust with rust converter and will bondo the holes with metal reinforced filler. I have a brand new can in the basement, so it is getting used. I have multiple cans of Rust Destroyer red primer to cover it. I plan on this being a 2 year stop-gap as my Challenger and Lund boat will be paid for and give me an extra $1000 a month. So I will find a body shop to do 3, if not 4 quater panels, fix the hood, one rotten front corner and either door bottoms or whole doors. So this is why I am not super concerned on removing all the rust. The dock strike means there are very few trains coming through the CN yard right now. Short day yesterday, may not work today, so I have time. 20230710_121925.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Well half done. Nothing but a struggle to get this much done. First the filler didn't set up the first time. I put way more hardener than suggested. Apparently two to three times was needed. Then the nozzles on the first two cans I grabbed were plugged. After two more cans applied and next can plugged, I found a different nozzle that was wide open. I emptied the can and half as well that were plugged. One side done.
20230711_155847.jpg
20230711_162836.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
That lighting contrast really shows all the body lines. She's got some hips on 'er!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
After many hours of flap disc, bondo, sanding and scrapping then Rust Destroyer primer, here is the finished product.
20230714_204357.jpg
20230714_223617.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Good thing I checked the door jams and under the hood. There was so much green chunks everywhere, especially in the cowl area for the vents, I would have looked like Kermit the Frog when going down the highway. Shop vac to the rescue. I also lubed all the latches and hinges and rust converter on the small spots inside the doors.

Well, I am in Saskatoon with CN and went to Precise Engines, the machine shop that promised my motor done 10 months ago. I actually got to talk to one of the machinists and they will double check the bores, since I got 4.097 to 4.098" with the calipers and check the clearances, even the mains, he pointed out that even though it spun easy, maybe they put too much clearance, if the other shop screwed up the rod bearing clearances. Hopefully not but you never know. So it looks like they are going to do it by the Aug 11 pickup date, back in for a couple of appointments for my Wife. So crossing my fingers on a completion of the machine work by next month.

Reactions: 1 user
I went home and tried starting my 70S after it died on my Wife. It cranked a little then clicking. I checked battery voltage, just under 12 volts. So I charge it enough to start, the alternator isn't charging. I am ordering a 124 amp CS130 to replace the Remy 105 amp. Since I ordered it on May 24/2019, it has a lifetime warranty through Rockauto. Of course through the order it shows that is no longer under warranty, except in the fine print in the bottom, it changed to 3 years on Oct 01/2030. So not so simple to do a warranty claim. So no phone number for customer service, I sent an email to their customer service. The only way I can talk to someone is a paid app! I improved a bunch of the body work I did and reprised those areas.

So I found out the 124 amp CS130 alternator has a larger case and different mounting. I have a warranty replacement coming from Rock Auto, a 105 amp CS130. Hopefully that won't be a problem to get the warranty covered, you can't directly contact them. It will arrive this week. So I also received my Rocket emblem for my Amazon steering wheel and here it what it looks like. Not bad for just over $100.
20230729_211823.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Put the new alternator on, still not charging. I found the one wire where I put a connector for some reason, came unhooked. The other alternator squeaked from new and I always like having spare parts. Reconnected, taped the connection and no more squeak.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor