1970 Olds Cutlass S Rat Rod Style

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
So it runs, just not right. It started, idled ridiculously high. It also cranks like the timing is over advanced. I changed a couple of things, dropped the cranking timing to 10 from 15. It wouldn't even start until I put it back. I'm going to try a couple of things Mark mentioned to try next weekend and see if it will idle at less than 3000 rpm. It may be the Ebay special throttle body, may order a Holley throttle body. A person doesn't save on the cheap stuff unfortunately.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well, Holley throttle bodies are a month to 3 months out, best case scenario. Otherwise their in stock throttle body are $1000. An Edelbrock is $800 and the Wilson is $1300. My TB has multiple issues, $150 down the drain. I ordered the Speedmaster 1200 cfm and their Olds flywheel as well. Mark has used their throttle bodies with success. I know one CO member had IAC due to rough passages. If anything is questionable, it goes back and Wilson TB will be purchased.

Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Not many people I know will admit to having Speedmaster products, either because they're garbage or simply because they've ripped off someone else's R&D (it's all they do). However, I openly admit to owning a few pieces from them myself and can say that their quality is improving- I've used them for a few items but wouldn't trust their blocks or trannies yet. They have multiple factories and you're better off getting something they made in the U.S. or Australia over China, and again I can say that with authority. I'd be comfortable trying their TBI unit.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well, I think I found the high rpm issue is the TPS. My current POS TB has the TPS on the passenger side. The new Speedmaster TB also has it on the passenger side. Looking up the TPS and IAC, it requires a 87 Ford TPS. It turns the opposite way as the LS style TPS I am using. They also claim the mid 90's IAC for the Speedmaster, supposedly an Accufab copy. In the Speedmaster full kit, it looks like the LS style IAC, I have both. I am going to pick up a Ford TPS from Napa on Saturday and see if it will idle, it should.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Not many people I know will admit to having Speedmaster products, either because they're garbage or simply because they've ripped off someone else's R&D (it's all they do). However, I openly admit to owning a few pieces from them myself and can say that their quality is improving- I've used them for a few items but wouldn't trust their blocks or trannies yet. They have multiple factories and you're better off getting something they made in the U.S. or Australia over China, and again I can say that with authority. I'd be comfortable trying their TBI unit.
Their Olds heads are very good castings. The valves and hardware, not so good. I will probably grab a bare pair next Black Friday.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well, the timing was off, over advanced. Then I went too far retarded. In between just right, imagine that. Timing at 30 degrees checked with the light at idle, forgot to check rpm. I removed the IAC and taped it off, it idled down. It is pulling so much vacuum, I actually had to use hard plastic or it leaked vacuum and revved super high again. The TPS seems to work with this throttle body. I need to basically shut off the IAC, pretty sure it is set at 40 percent.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well this throttle body is an absolute POS. It is the reason it idling over 1000 rpm. Even with 3 return springs plus shafts don't seal tight. Plus it hits and jams on the air cleaner.

• Sad
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Damn, I was really hoping that would be a decent piece and work out for you.
This isn't the Speedmaster, we don't get parts that fast up here. It is a no name Ebay special POS.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor