1978 Malibu Project, 4th times a charm

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
You can shoot that primer. It's all just practice. My dad handed me the spray gun when I was about 12. You just learn by doing. It helps to have someone like your buddy who can guide you as you go so you don't have to learn everything the hard way.

My buddy said I should jump right in, I can't screw it up and we can always sand it off. :D I'll be giving it a try the weekend after next, the wife and I are taking some vacation time next week/weekend away from home and the garage. ;)

Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Happy days!

My body guy and I talked yesterday and I said I was going to give primer a try, luckily he wasn't busy and said pick him up at 6am and we would start working. Even after all my sanding I still spent an hour doing touch up plus 40 minutes wiping it all down with grease remover then with Metal Etch. We are using Sherwin Williams products/system like he uses in the Mustang shop, if it's good enough for full resto on a GT500KR it should work on my Malibu. Today we just got the shell done, I have more sanding on the rest of the parts before I can shoot those, mostly surface rust and rust bloom from sitting in primer too long.
It looks like a really clean body is it as straight A's it looks in the pictures?

Reactions: 1 user

Martin S.

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Hello from Hamburg, Germany,
what an interesting thread and what awesome kind of work.
Thats going to be a really nice car.
I´m really excited about the future progress.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
X3, or whatever it is now lol!
20160610_141749.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
And the next round of sandpaper, filler, and new hinges have been ordered along with a play date set with my bodyman for next Sunday. Plans are to bodywork the firewall, prime the remaining trunk lid, and set body back on the frame. Then I can get the doors back on to start lining it all up for mud.

Of course I've had interest from one guy buying it but he was in Houston so I think the hurricane put a crimp in his plans.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor