1978 Malibu Project, 4th times a charm

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Lookin' good, man.
I like your car dolly, too...looks like a nice strong piece.

How did the blast gun work out? I've had one for awhile I find it clogs up frequently... I didn't add an inline filter to it like you did.. Moisture is a problem with those.
Blasting is a messy job in general. Much of it ends up on the ground and everywhere else.

Reactions: 1 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Lookin' good, man.
I like your car dolly, too...looks like a nice strong piece.

How did the blast gun work out? I've had one for awhile I find it clogs up frequently... I didn't add an inline filter to it like you did.. Moisture is a problem with those.
Blasting is a messy job in general. Much of it ends up on the ground and everywhere else.

Thanks. The blast gun didn't work too bad at all, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm going to be using it again tomorrow but this time with either blast sand or a finer grit Black Diamond for some rust pitting in the window channels.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks. The blast gun didn't work too bad at all, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm going to be using it again tomorrow but this time with either blast sand or a finer grit Black Diamond for some rust pitting in the window channels.
Thanks, that's good to know.
I've used mine with a medium grade(grit) silica sand. It's probably due for a replacement.

You seem to have a good amount of space in your garage. That makes working on your project much more accessible. Keep up the good work!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Is it groundhog day?

I got up early and headed out to Tractor Supply and picked up two bags of fine grit Black Diamond to do some more blasting to the spots that had creeping rust and finish the window channels. The fine grit works much better in this siphon blaster. After hitting the channels I found a spot on the driver's quarter that will need to be cut out, the metal was thin and trying to blast out all the rust it blew through. I also grabbed the seat tracks that I picked up a Pik N Pull that were 100% surface rusted and gave them a quick blast too.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Is it groundhog day?

I got up early and headed out to Tractor Supply and picked up two bags of fine grit Black Diamond to do some more blasting to the spots that had creeping rust and finish the window channels. The fine grit works much better in this siphon blaster. After hitting the channels I found a spot on the driver's quarter that will need to be cut out, the metal was thin and trying to blast out all the rust it blew through.

I also grabbed the seat tracks that I picked up a Pik N Pull that were 100% surface rusted and gave them a quick blast too.

Blasted the underside of the rear quarters too, these areas were all rust/surface rust.

I love this little blaster now! I grabbed both front fenders and hit the nooks and crannies plus the rusty areas, next I'll have to dig out the core support and blast it. Another step closer to primer.....

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It looks like you're turning into the werewolf in that picture.....:eek::rofl:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Happy days!

My body guy and I talked yesterday and I said I was going to give primer a try, luckily he wasn't busy and said pick him up at 6am and we would start working. Even after all my sanding I still spent an hour doing touch up plus 40 minutes wiping it all down with grease remover then with Metal Etch. We are using Sherwin Williams products/system like he uses in the Mustang shop, if it's good enough for full resto on a GT500KR it should work on my Malibu. Today we just got the shell done, I have more sanding on the rest of the parts before I can shoot those, mostly surface rust and rust bloom from sitting in primer too long.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You can shoot that primer. It's all just practice. My dad handed me the spray gun when I was about 12. You just learn by doing. It helps to have someone like your buddy who can guide you as you go so you don't have to learn everything the hard way.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor