1980 BBC El Camino Pro Touring Turd

Status
Not open for further replies.

meademan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2014
WNC
Well I've been creeping around on this forum for awhile and have gotten a boatload of useful info, so I figured it was time to share my project and hopefully someone might gain a little knowledge from this... Or not. Who knows.
This has been a slow and painful project and it still isn't finished, so I'm hoping this thread will keep me motivated to finish it, or at least keep throw money at it.

A little background info on this project:
My dad bought it around 2006 and built a 496 stroker for it, put an 8.5" 10 bolt in it, put the sweet cragars on it, put the fiberglass cowl hood on it and primered it... Then it sat for years.

IMG_20131013_102507.jpg

I bought it off him a couple years ago and we pulled it out of the weeds, did a burn out and sent the picture to Car Craft haha
IMG_20131201_023211.jpg

I'm going to add more posts to bring everyone up to speed on where it's at now.. Here's a little sneak peek as to what it looks like now
0905151556.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
That stance in the last pic is on the money! What are the wheel specs m

The one thing is the big block on pro touring car will make the handling tough.

If you can pull it off though that will make it great. I look forward to the progress.

What do you have for suspension and brakes?

meademan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2014
WNC
Just from that little sneak peak that thing looks gorgeous. Are you keeping the big block?

That's actually one thing I've been debating on. I have a wrecked 04 tahoe with a 5.3 that I've been thinking about putting in it, with a cam. Something to lighten up the front end a little, since I plan on autocrossing it. But it's a hard decision. I love the big block torque!

meademan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2014
WNC
That stance in the last pic is on the money! What are the wheel specs m

The one thing is the big block on pro touring car will make the handling tough.

If you can pull it off though that will make it great. I look forward to the progress.

What do you have for suspension and brakes?

Wheels are 17x9.5 ridler 675 Wheels with 5.05 BS. I used 5/16" spacer and longer studs for the rear.
Front suspension is Moog 5660 springs that have been cut to the desired height, qa1 tall upper and lower ball joints, speedway motors tubular upper control arms, i believe delrin lower control arm bushings?, semi boxed lower control arms and kyb shocks for now.
IMG_20141112_183848_989.jpg

Before
IMG_20141214_134253_318.jpg

After
IMG_20150110_135014_913.jpg

I'd say it was past due for new equipment
IMG_20141220_130338_718.jpg

meademan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2014
WNC
Brakes are stock for now. I've had these ls1 rotors and calipers sitting around for awhile. I tried contacting flynbye 3 times to ask if their hubs would increase the track width. And I guess his wife(?) kept telling me he would call me back, but he never did. So I guess I'm just gonna look for blazer spindles so I can finally put these brakes on
IMG_20150313_185527_560.jpg

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Brakes are stock for now. I've had these ls1 rotors and calipers sitting around for awhile. I tried contacting flynbye 3 times to ask if their hubs would increase the track width. And I guess his wife(?) kept telling me he would call me back, but he never did. So I guess I'm just gonna look for blazer spindles so I can finally put these brakes on View attachment 44442

I've heard flyneby is tough to get a hold of. You can turn down your stock rotors down to hubs also.

meademan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2014
WNC
I've heard flyneby is tough to get a hold of. You can turn down your stock rotors down to hubs also.

I've also heard that about flynbye, and I guess it's true. I looked into turning my rotors, but I'd really like to find a way that won't increase my track width because I don't have much room between my fender and tires

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I've also heard that about flynbye, and I guess it's true. I looked into turning my rotors, but I'd really like to find a way that won't increase my track width because I don't have much room between my fender and tires

Call umi performance they sell hubs. They have them in their Monte. They will help for sure.

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor