1980 cutlass street cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadeyejedi80

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2018
Saratoga springs ny
g-force crossmember installed (had to use the frame extension for my 80 which required drilling a couple holes ,but no issues worked perfectly),trans hooked up, radiator almost hooked up, ordered the thornton stainless shortie headers, and pipes down pipes .more to do today before its back to work on monday!

Reactions: 2 users

Deadeyejedi80

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2018
Saratoga springs ny
installed the original shroud and a 19.5 inch clutch fan today it all fit pretty well .i didnt like the way the shroud was touching the radiator fins ,so i trimmed about an 1/8 inch off the inside edge of the shroud and shimmed the bottom another 1/8 inch out. fit real nice after that and barely snook the fan in ,but it went.I doubt my original radiator would have cooled the 455 so im using a four row aluminum from summit part number 384003.its very close to the dimensions of the original.top plate seems to snug down nicely but had to use my own rubber under it as the originals dont fit.waiting to find a 3/4npt X5/8 fitting for the rear heater core hose.

Attachments

• b8BRkLznTC+C3z3oxfv0uA.jpg
    b8BRkLznTC+C3z3oxfv0uA.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 151
Reactions: 1 user

Deadeyejedi80

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2018
Saratoga springs ny
pic of top plate and shroud

Attachments

• Tywaef3MSJ6oaS0ld9elEQ.jpg
    Tywaef3MSJ6oaS0ld9elEQ.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 168
Reactions: 1 users

Deadeyejedi80

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2018
Saratoga springs ny
got my driveshaft built ,and got the exhaust done ,almost ready to test fire this beast
fKBdf8%KRCKnau3NZhghsg.jpg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_225d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_225d.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 179
Reactions: 6 users

Deadeyejedi80

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2018
Saratoga springs ny
How did those Pypes downpipes fit?
Did you use their DOF10S set?
i did use the dof10s and so far so good ,on my 76 cutlass the flared end didnt quite right and leaked in that area so i had to modify it a bit .i dont like how the flange on those down pipes is so large it tends to slip to one side of the flared end (if that makes sense) unfortunately in my area nobody knows how to custom make pipes anymore. the last ones i took to get bent ,the moron crushed the pipe.we did fire it tonight just briefly its loud!!!

Reactions: 1 users

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
Makes sense. Thornton shorties mimic stock 2.25", Pypes are 2.5" so I can see why they'd "slip to one side".
Wondered if that was an issue or not.

Deadeyejedi80

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2018
Saratoga springs ny
got the cutlass out on the road last night she's runs good ! had a smile painted on the whole trip.still little things to do but felt great to cruise after 2 years of working on it

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I installed the jeep steering shaft that i got from crown auto part #4713943 .it wasn't no ten minute job that i have heard guys describing .the shaft comes 5 inches longer than a standard gbody shaft right out of the box .there was no compressing it by hand so i did have to use a torch on it to soften it up and then it did slide in and out(still nice and firm with no play)tapped the steering box side on and bolted it ,then tapped the other end on and marked the column shaft to be ground out for the pinch bolt.all in all not too bad took just under an hour.of course you all know ,gotta find the torch and the tools and a couple trips back and forth to the house !!.cant wait to drop the motor in ! View attachment 116998

Regarding the Jeep shaft,you might want to read my thread on the issue I had with one in my Monte.
Guy

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor