1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK??

Well those pics don't show much but what you want to figure out 1st is where to put the relay etc as I like to hide that stuff like the led relay for my lights is hidden next to the battery mounted indie the fender so you want to figure where you want to mount stuff then you want to get the wires hidden so you don't see stuff. If you got a diagram of where to see it on line will help me help u. :D
I would say figure out 1st where your gonna get power cause that's what you need 1st power and ground are the two most important items.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Ok guys got home today from work and mounted the fans where i wanted them and took care of the overflowtank...tomorrow morning im going to start removing the wheel wells and hitting the paint on the side panels to match the core and wheel wells...

Ok Skip/or Dave..need some advice...where do start the wiring process? ..im stuck and dont know which wires to start with first....?

Heres some pics... :mrgreen:
mount the relay close to the battery and out of sight, just do one wire at a time pretty much but choose how you route the wire, as you prob want it to be hidden and clean... you can ground each ground wire on the fans together solder them and heat shrink to protect, then extend two separate power wires the fans... run that toward your relay and split loom to clean it up and or hide it a little... run you wire from you switched ignition source and your temp sensor... wire it all up, solder and heat shrink then cover with loom... and you r all done...

i figure out where i wanted my relay switch and knew i needed to extend the wires of the fan on the drivers side of the car to run toward the other fan and ultimately to the relay
IMG159.jpg

i soldered both of the ground wires for the fans together and extended one wire for them toward the relay (hope I'm making sense to you), there were in a sense now three wires to hook up from the fans..
4 wires going into the tape, but three wires on the other end (soldered, heat shrunk then taped, put it loom to hide and clean up)...
IMG158.jpg

IMG187.jpg

the ground from the relay, along with the ground wire from the fan set up, grounded on the battery, and the constant power/fused needed for the relay wired up to the battery...
IMG164.jpg

IMG165.jpg

the two wires left (grey on mine and yellow), ran a ignition wire and the wire from the temp sensor and put that in loom to clean it up...
IMG199.jpg

IMG163.jpg

IMG195.jpg

thanks skip and dave...its kinda coming to me as we go....THANKS ALOT... skip thanks for the phone call, i kinda got it a bit more....but dave im going to holla at u as well if n e thing.....thanks guys....I LOVE U GUYS MAN!!!! LMAO....J/K/J/K/J/K DONT GET IT TWISTED....LOL...

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
thanks skip and dave...its kinda coming to me as we go....THANKS ALOT... skip thanks for the phone call, i kinda got it a bit more....but dave im going to holla at u as well if n e thing.....thanks guys....I LOVE U GUYS MAN!!!! LMAO....J/K/J/K/J/K DONT GET IT TWISTED....LOL...
aint nothing wrong with tellin a bro you love em...lol... glad you got it bro, its easier than your thinking, once you start wiring it up, youll see... where do u start? just pick a wire and knock it out...

UPDATE: So go tup early this morning, and started working on this Dayum wires for the fan, I i started off by mounting the relay and fuse box behind the battery box, hidden and ran wires to hide so that they wont be seen, i will still finish it off with the black wire loom stuff u get at autozone..

Got the sensor all hooked up and ran that ignition and sensor...did all my ground and fan set-up..

HUUUURAYYYYY! it worked..>they turned on at 190* and turned off at 170*, im pretty sure when im driving it will function more better with the air coming in thru the front grlle hitting the radiator...

It was kinda easy, thanks to the homie Skip and Dave here on the forum...

BUT THERES MORE ON SECOND POST....LMAO....SCARY!!!

Attachments

• sensor.jpeg
    sensor.jpeg
    783.4 KB · Views: 644
  • hiddenwires.jpeg
    hiddenwires.jpeg
    722.5 KB · Views: 652
  • connection.jpeg
    connection.jpeg
    793.6 KB · Views: 648

So with me moving all wires from here and there I had a Life or Death situation!!! I guess after turning off project elko i didnt reposition the wire that goes from the starter to the battery!!! When I thouhgt i was all dont i close the elko door start covering it with car cover and started to close the hood....as i was doing that i started to smell something BURNING, and i poped the hood again and thought i burned my the fans, but i seen smoke then fire flames coming from the header area.....the dayum wire from the starter to the battery was touching the header and sparking and on fire!!!!!!!!!! :blam: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

I ran to the inside of the elko to grab the fire extingusher and by the time i got back to the front of car it was turned off
( lord was with me) I was shaking,scared and almost sh*t in my pants.... (in the back of my mined all i can think of was "MY ELKO IS NOT GOING OUT LIKE THIS", too much money and time spent on it to have her go down like this!!)

But all is well made sure the headers were cold before i closed hood,and going to make sure to reroute the wire away from the headers, and make sure all wires are away from the headers!!!!!!!!! :blam:

(I GUESS THIS IS A LESSON TO BE LEARNED AND AN EYE OPENER!!! (THIS IS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT LEARNING ON YOUR OWN)...iM LOVING IT THO....HAHAHAHAHAAHHAHA......LMAO!! :rofl:

Attachments

• 2011-08-10_11-43-19_617[1].jpg
    2011-08-10_11-43-19_617[1].jpg
    973 KB · Views: 646

1st off glad you got the wiring hooked up and that the fans work that is a good thing now just loom them up and you should be good to go glad you did it all on your own. and yes man move that starter wire asap you dont need to burn up your ride. also you may want to consider getting collector car insurance i got my elko covered for 22k so its worth more stolen than it is now lol but im just saying with all the loot your pouring in your ride its something to think about.

Dave V said:
1st off glad you got the wiring hooked up and that the fans work that is a good thing now just loom them up and you should be good to go glad you did it all on your own. and yes man move that starter wire asap you dont need to burn up your ride. also you may want to consider getting collector car insurance i got my elko covered for 22k so its worth more stolen than it is now lol but im just saying with all the loot your pouring in your ride its something to think about.

Thanks Dave, I will look into that.. :wink:

WOW1 Man Im glad you keep that extinguisher handy bro. One thing I llike to do before any engine work or electrical stuff is to take pics of how everything looks before i add anything new. I know that it was all working properly before the new addition. Then when I add the new stuff, I run everything along with the old setup. Especially wiring. Man that can really bite you. And yes its scary. After you do the mods let the car sit in idle and keep a close watch on things. Better to catch any probs early on and not while out driving. Keep up the great work bruh.

Elco Warren 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor