MALIBU 1980 Malibu 500 Cadillac

Status
Not open for further replies.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Patch the holes in the truck that I cut months ago when I installed urethane bushings to remove the cage nuts for new bolts. Fixed the sloppy front sway bar end links.
0EAE251C-2E10-48A2-BE30-85A007CB0F37.jpeg
D5E4521C-6B24-4894-8BCE-08CCDF96528E.jpeg
2B9EB905-A3DF-42B1-95AF-F5C9F73900E7.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
As good of an engine as an LS is and a SBC was, I just have no interest in something with such a large following and that requires no imagination.

My Oldsmobrother hooked me up with the sticker.

Reactions: 2 users

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
What an awesome build! I'm absolutely loving the Caddy 500 swap!!!!

You can add me to the Anti-LS consortium. I'm just breaking in an Olds 403 I built for my Cutlass and am so Glad I didn't fall into the "LS swap it" group think mentality.

20 years ago at car shows it seemed like the LT-1 swap (from the C4 Corvette) was all the rage. There's definitely been 10x the number of LSx swaps than the old LT-1 swap, but I wonder if 20 years from now if the LSx Swap will be looked at in the same way.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia

You can add me to the Anti-LS consortium. I'm just breaking in an Olds 403 I built for my Cutlass and am so Glad I didn't fall into the "LS swap it" group think mentality.

20 years ago at car shows it seemed like the LT-1 swap (from the C4 Corvette) was all the rage. There's definitely been 10x the number of LSx swaps than the old LT-1 swap, but I wonder if 20 years from now if the LSx Swap will be looked at in the same way.

I'd say the tree-humpers will likely have totally killed off gasoline by that time. Enjoy them while you can, even the Ls'...………………..did I just say that??????????:LOL:

• Haha
  • Agree

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho

"LS swap mentality"??

If cheap, reliable, powerful, compact, and fun V8s lump me into a less than desirable group, can I be the ring leader?

I'm all for originality but there has to be a payoff somewhere.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
"LS swap mentality"??

If cheap, reliable, powerful, compact, and fun V8s lump me into a less than desirable group can I be the ring leader?

I'm all for originality but there has to be a payoff somewhere.
There is, low end torque. I am just not impressed with the Gen 3 or 4 motor, maybe because I drove them stock in trucks. The only thing good about them was better mileage in trucks and anything was better than the GM swirl or peanut ports a few years earlier. I just don't get the appeal in old cars till gas is $8 a liter. Love the idea of the bone crushing torque with some hp sprinkled on top in this build. Mileage isn't a concern keeping the tires above the belts is😁.

Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
There is, low end torque. I am just not impressed with the Gen 3 or 4 motor, maybe because I drove them stock in trucks. The only thing good about them was better mileage in trucks and anything was better than the GM swirl or peanut ports a few years earlier. I just don't get the appeal in old cars till gas is $8 a liter. Love the idea of the bone crushing torque with some hp sprinkled on top in this build. Mileage isn't a concern keeping the tires above the belts is😁.
Low end torque.

Stock they make the same amount of torque as a 5.3, it's just way lower in the Rev range, but they have 78 cubic inches more displacement.

To get that one marginal gain he'll have to deal with questionable parts availability, a physically large package, and they have cooling issues. Not to mention all the time and money spent sourcing the engine, having the bottom end rebuilt, throw the stock heads into the weeds, rebuild/modify Olds 350 heads or replace them with aftermarket, aftermarket cam, main girdle if you actually want to make power without it becoming a grenade.

I'm not totally stuck on LS junk. I really like Pontiac 400s, especially ones with better than 9:1 compression. Had one in a 69 GTO that was awesome, except for the ultra dumb exhaust ports that face the ground, sh*te design. I also like flat head Ford V8s, 390 FEs, Jeep 4.0 HO, BMW N54, Toyota 1JZ, 2JZGTE, Nissan RB26dett, ISB Cummins, LBZ Duramax, most screamin Jimmy stuff, 500cc Polaris twin 2 strokes, CR500s, Yamaha R1 engines in all their varieties, and a little Pratt & Whitney R 4360 with sprinkles on top.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I’m not sure what stock motor your referring to that has the same torque as a 5.3, but you certainly are talking about a 500 Cadillac.

With a cheap 4.8 or 5.3 you will need a turbo to get north of 500hp. By the time you get a 4.8 or 5.3 to run low 11s or high 10s, cheap has become subjective, and no matter what fast is always subjective. What do you consider fast?

To duplicate my car from bumper to bumper, with a 1000hp transmission, driveshaft, and rearend, and to be just as streetable and just as fast, in both a straight line through the curves, could not be done much if any ‘cheaper’ with an Ls engine.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I’m not sure what stock motor your referring to that has the same torque as a 5.3, but you certainly are talking about a 500 Cadillac.

With a cheap 4.8 or 5.3 you will need a turbo to get north of 500hp. By the time you get a 4.8 or 5.3 to run low 11s or high 10s, cheap has become subjective, and no matter what fast is always subjective. What do you consider fast?

To duplicate my car from bumper to bumper, with a 1000hp transmission, driveshaft, and rearend, and to be just as streetable and just as fast, in both a straight line through the curves, could not be done much if any ‘cheaper’ with an Ls engine.
Excluding drivetrain from the transmission back, it’s possible to do it cheaper with a LS.

As long as you don’t mind giving a block a couple of windows every other week.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor