1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon - G-T-faux (stuck with it, and can't shake it... like a bad case of herpes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Why do you want another truck?

It is mostly a time vs. money issue (more of the latter). The TBSS is 12 years old (very high mileage and next to sh*t its LS2) and has outlived its usefulness (as a truck/family hauler) given Natasha has her Colorado now. The girls fit fine in the back of a car... and the Challenger has ample rear seating space and cargo space for a daily/road trip. Plus, the grand touring aspect of the car is really appealing. You just cannot build a car for what you get with a Hellcat (that includes the warranty).

I am not giving up on building G-bodies - I just don't see the value in throwing my valuable time at another junkyard solution - but also cannot justify spending big money on a low power/dollar return on a basic N/A LS-based engine.

I priced this exact car out earlier this year, and come September we can comfortably afford it as Natasha gets promoted and the girls are out of full-time daycare. Additionally, I've never had the privilege of buying myself a new car - and no new car has ever appealed to me like a widebody, six speed, Hellcat.

Last edited:
  • Indifferent
Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
It is mostly a time vs. money issue (more of the latter). The TBSS is 12 years old (very high mileage and next to sh*t its LS2) and has outlived its usefulness (as a truck/family hauler) given Natasha has her Colorado now. The girls fit fine in the back of a car... and the Challenger has ample rear seating space and cargo space for a daily/road trip. Plus, the grand touring aspect of the car is really appealing. You just cannot build a car for what you get with a Hellcat (that includes the warranty).

I am not giving up on building G-bodies - I just don't see the value in throwing my valuable time at another junkyard solution - but also cannot justify spending big money on a low power/doller return on a basic N/A LS-based engine.

I priced this exact car out earlier this year, and come September we can comfortably afford as Natasha gets promoted and the girls are out of full-time daycare. Additionally, I've never had the privilege of buying myself a new car - and no new car has ever appealed to me like a widebody, six speed, Hellcat.
I like the wagon

• Agree

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
As far as the wagon is concerned, I like the LS3 option. Not a hack junkyard approach but also not a burn the wallet, to hell with life, TSP build either.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I like the wagon

So do I. The irony is that the Hellcat didn't exist when I bought the wagon. And the Hellcat is the factory embodiment of the car I would build for myself.

As far as the wagon is concerned, I like the LS3 option. Not a hack junkyard approach but also not a burn the wallet, to hell with life, TSP build either.

That's the problem. Both of those options are a huge financial outlay for a very disappointing performance return; and when I settled on the H/C/I build of the current LS1 it was pretty disappointing (other than the sound). If I had to do it over, which it looks like I am, I'd use forced induction. Now I can (potentially) do this one of three ways:

1. Use the 5.3L currently in the Monte and buy a positive displacement blower fit for F-body accessories;
2. Use the 5.3L and adapt the wagon to truck accessories, and pull the Procharger (plus the Holley Mid-Rise intake, injectors, etc) off the TBSS before I sell it/trade it in on a Hellcat; or
3. Use the 5.3L as-is (while on the bottle), and just accept that it isn't a H/C/I LS1.

Option 1 is not cost effective (too many supporting mods required). Option 2 and 3 have the least amount of financial outlay, with Option 2 having the best power and Option 3 having the least aggravation/downtime. I can always transition from Option 3 to Option 2 over time.

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
So do I. The irony is that the Hellcat didn't exist when I bought the wagon. And the Hellcat is the factory embodiment of the car I would build for myself.

That's the problem. Both of those options are a huge financial outlay for a very disappointing performance return; and when I settled on the H/C/I build of the current LS1 it was pretty disappointing (other than the sound). If I had to do it over, which it looks like I am, I'd use forced induction. Now I can (potentially) do this one of three ways:

1. Use the 5.3L currently in the Monte and buy a positive displacement blower fit for F-body accessories;
2. Use the 5.3L and adapt the wagon to truck accessories, and pull the Procharger (plus the Holley Mid-Rise intake, injectors, etc) off the TBSS before I sell it/trade it in on a Hellcat; or
3. Use the 5.3L as-is (while on the bottle), and just accept that it isn't a H/C/I LS1.

Option 1 is not cost effective (too many supporting mods required). Option 2 and 3 have the least amount of financial outlay, with Option 2 having the best power and Option 3 having the least aggravation/downtime. I can always transition from Option 3 to Option 2 over time.
Cool factor wagon rules!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Cool factor wagon rules!

Agreed. I have too much invested in it (especially the sweat equity) to not fix it - but, rolling the TBSS up into a Hellcat buys me time and saves me from the fear that everytime I squeeze the go-peddle in it either the 4L70E or engine is going to blow.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Put a crank kit in the engine that's in it.

All I heard was buy a Hellcat.

Ironically, I just pitched Natasha to demod the TBSS and sell it/trade it in in order to buy a Hellcat, and put a Procharged 5.3L into the wagon. She said:

Yes.

• Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor