oldsen_pic112w.jpg

oldsen_pic113w.jpg

oldsen_pic114w.jpg

Pit

Apprentice
Oct 13, 2013
Brussels, Belgium, EU
Nice Job!

I like to see Gbodies so close, here in Europe!

See you on the road soon!!

Pit

dingo84

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2013
Hey everybody (that love the g-body ;p)
It has been a while since I've even touched my project. Well I decided to go for a trip to Spain, and hurried up to pack the car together so it could be moved. Spent 3 days alone in the workshop (and a lot of beer), to get it from bare frame to rolling on its own wheels. It is now resting in a locked freight container.
I have plans finding a new place for both me and the Cutty. Not long till that will happen, hopefully.. Its snowing a LOT in Norway now. The engine has no oil or water but I think it will be just fine even if its a locked container. What are your opinions on this? Should I worry about the engine internals and oxidizing? The new cam and lifters has been lubed with brake-in grease and motor oil. Also the sylinders and stuff has some thin layer of the old engine oil left on them.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Are you moving from Norway to Spain? That's what it sounds like to me. I suppose if the car won't be in the container for an extended period of time, you should alright with the internal engine parts coated with oil.
How long will it take the container to arrive in Spain?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Amazing scale of restoration. We take for granted here in the US how easy it is to obtain spare parts and cars. good luck in Spain!

Pull the spark plugs and spray a generous amount of WD-40 or Sea Foam oil into each cylinder (ask if you need help finding an equivalent in Norway). The excess will bleed down through the o-rings over time, and won't hurt the car on startup. With the plugs out you should be able to rotate the motor by hand using the balancer to work the oil into all the piston rings and lover cylinders.

When you get around to firing up the motor for the first time, obtain a priming tool or make one from a junk distributor shaft. Pull out the distributor, engage the slot in top of the oil pump shaft, and spin clockwise for about 5 minutes. This will push oil up into all the passages and lifters.

Personal lesson learned: when priming the engine, make sure the little 6mm hole in the top of the block next to the distributor hole has an oil sender or pipe plug threaded in. Big mess otherwise. Oil tastes baaaaad. :blam:

dingo84

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2013
Thanks for checking out the thread guys :mrgreen:
Well, it has no plugs right now. I've just rolled bits of paper towls into a ball and stuffed every opening of the engine.. Not that this is 100% air-tight but I think it helps. It has no exhaust headers either.
I will think about spraying some of that stuff into each sylinder next time I'm there. Thanks for the tip.
Yeah I had a plan moving to Spain but its not do-able in my situation. Will just find a house in this cold country with a nice garage :) Will finish the project there. Will take som photos of that when I have moved.
It has been in the container since the end of November last year.
And yeah it has been hard work. Even lived at a workshop smokers-room for a period when I worked on it :twisted: And parts were mostly ordered from USA, and I had to take the bus to the post-office and carrie them on my shoulders. I have no other car than this :p
Here are some photos from when I "packed" the car together temporary to move it more easily.

oldsen_pic115w.jpg

oldsen_pic116w.jpg

Cleaning the th350
oldsen_pic117w.jpg

oldsen_pic118w.jpg

Will get new front arms, springs, shocks, bushings, steering linkage, rear brakes kit etc..
I just put some 4by4's in between the arms and frame to get some ground clearance as you can see was needed :p
oldsen_pic119w.jpg

oldsen_pic120w.jpg

Will pull out the transmission later and give it new gaskets and paint. Also the crossmember will be either swapped out, or modified for dual exhaust.
oldsen_pic121w.jpg

oldsen_pic122w.jpg

This was an epic moment for me. Almost shed a tear when the chassie was back on.
Just did not have time to bend and mount brake and fuel lines first.. Will be a pain to mount with chassis on I guess.
oldsen_pic123w.jpg

oldsen_pic124w.jpg

oldsen_pic125w.jpg

Young0utlaw81Cutlass

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2013
Dallas Tx.
Nice Work on the 81 Same year as mine wish i could Restore mine that way,Keep up the great work post the finale Pictures when is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor