1981 MALIBU IRAQI TAXI - TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice car. I hope to have a two door 4 on the floor malibu. You plan on making the rear windows work? Id suggest throwing on some wheels and ditching the caps.

Though it wasn't a smart move to do. I cant talk down on you or your car. Just make safer choices. Sometimes safer choices aren't the most convenient ones but that's not an excuse either.

Nice car. I hope to have a two door 4 on the floor malibu. You plan on making the rear windows work? Id suggest throwing on some wheels and ditching the caps.

Though it wasn't a smart move to do. I cant talk down on you or your car. Just make safer choices. Sometimes safer choices aren't the most convenient ones but that's not an excuse either.

Hey oldsone much appreciated!

I'm aware it might not have been the smartest idea but i drove safe with a friend driving in front of me and another tailing behind me, it was nighttime so noone was on the road......

let these guys yapp if they wanna im fine with it, if they do it just means they dont understand what its like to be 20 something buying a new car. if i waited until it was legit it would have been sold.

gonna ditch the caps and put some nice wheels and chromes on her i think
also, how hard of a job is it to get those back windows to go down?

i have a few questions for the forum......

so it has some rust on the back fenders and inside the top of the doors, does this mean i need to fully restore it to get all the rust off?

i plan on repainting it but my main concern is getting it rust free, is this a possibilty or will it cost me a million bucks?

also, whats it gonna cost me to rebuild a 350 compared to buying a turn key crate engine

and lasstly, whats it gonna cost me to change the transmission from 3 speed to 4 or 5 speed?

thanks guys.

Just saw your post in the other thread. I'm up north of Oshawa. I'm not very good at posting photos. All of the Iraqi cars were usually light colours (beige, silver, light blue, etc). The one I have now is light blue. The first one I had was silver, and the other one I had was kind of a cream colour, similiar to yours.

this car was repainted back into this cream colour he told me it was the original colour but it could have been anything because i plan on repainting!

so youve had 3 of these 3 speeds? and still own one now?
any pics ?

thanks for the reply

when someone drives under suspension, no insurance and illegal plates and thinks it's funny they shouldn't own a car. If you get run into by someone like that you can be assume they don't have the money to pay for the damages and wouldn't care about who suffers.

who said anything about funny?
i
Hello, and welcome to the site. You'll find lots of good people here, and lots of information. If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts are you located?
Judging by the photos that you've posted, you have found a pretty decent car. I've had 3 of these cars in the past 20 years or so. I have one now, and I'm trying to figure out how to fix it up as well. Just so you know, the glass in the rear doors was fixed on all '78-'83 Malibu 4 doors and wagons. The '81 and up 4 door cars had the small vent windows that could be opened, as did the wagons.
Basically, its up to you how you go about fixing up the car. The bellhousing on the existing 229 V6 will bolt right up to the earlier small block and big block Chev V8s, although if you're looking at installing a high horsepower engine, a scattersheild would probably be a wise choice. The 3 speed transmission will work too, but once again, probably not the best choice behind an engine with more power. The stock bellhousing will accept most older GM 4 speed and some of the 5 speed trannys, or you can go aftermarket. The clutch linkage is mechanical, and if you're looking at a V8 swap with headers, be sure to check for interferance between the headers and clutch linkage. Some header manufacturers do make headers to clear the mechanical clutch linkage.
As for the rest of the car, pretty much the sky is the limit, in terms of modifications. Most, if not all of the better steering and suspension pieces from the later G body cars (Monte SS, Buick GN, Olds 442, etc) should fit with no problems. As for the interior, pretty much the same story. If you want to upgrade from the bench seat to buckets, you'll need to install the center floor mounting brackets for bucket seats. Same for a console.
Hope this helps. Keep us up to date with your progress. Good Luck!

man, thanks so much for all this info, i was unaware of alot of it, im brand new to this car so this helps a whole lot!!!!
im located in Ontario.

i noticed the glass is fixed, someone here suggested gettin them to roll down which sounds like a good idea actually,

i think il end up throwing a 350 in her, its real good to know that these cars are interchangeable to a degree because ive seen some scrappers for sale so i might try and get a few to part and get this baby in tip top shape

il probably put a new transmission in her when i get the new engine...

for now i need to play the student and learn everything i can about this thing inside and out!

who said anything about funny?

I listed Steves comment as funny, the part about not being able to do any of those things because of suspended licence etc, not the topic of driving with no insurance. That is NOT funny.

Wow, you just took your thread in a dramatically different direction.
Hey oldsone much appreciated

let these guys yapp if they wanna im fine with it, if they do it just means they dont understand what its like to be 20 something buying a new car. if i waited until it was legit it would have been sold.

yapp?...it would be nice to see you nailed by the cops and maybe then you wouldn't be bragging about your drive. I don't care if you are only 20, if you are old enough to drive them you are old enough to obey the laws. If you could afford to have the car towed home then how would you pay for any damage you caused while driving uninsured. If I knew where you lived I would report you to the police

• Agree
Reactions: GuysMonteSS
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor