1982 Monte E85 Blow Thru Procharged SBC Build *PICS and VIDS ADDED***RUNNING***

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
After checking all injectors and ignition outputs I decided to, just for the hell of it, crank the car over with no fuel or ignition and set the ecu into "oscilloscope mode". With this you can actually see the crank and cam signals as you crank the car over. Sure enough looking at it I had the cam sync stabbed so that at 70* btdc is was on rising edge not falling edge. That woulda been a problem. So I got the motor to 70* and re clocked the cam sync so that it was at signal falling. Hooked up fuel and park and she fired up. Seems a little lean but it held an idle with a little throttle opening. I was alone and the motor isn't completely filled with water since doing the intake, so I only ran it a minute. Need to get water in it and get it to hold an idle so I can check timing. The tb is as it was set from Motion Raceworks, so it may just need some more throttle screw. Just have to mess with it.

Here is the proper oscilloscope trace. The straight up and down orange lines are cam sygnal. It's a 12v signal and it goes up off the scale and then comes back down. The alternating pos and neg signal (green) is the VR crank signal. The crank signals are 90* apart because it is a 4 magnet crank. The crank reference angle I set to 50* and cam is set to 70* and digital failing. So on this trace you can see the vertical line approximately 20* before a crank signal. This is the cam signal going from 12v down to zero volts(digital falling), this falling signal tells the ecu that the next crank signal it will see in approximately 20* is cylinder number 1.

0410221935_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Neat - what is the scale on the bottom?

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
So, added some cranking fuel and extended the fuel pump priming time. Also when I started it the other day it wanted 7-8% tps to sit at 1000rpm, so I opened the blade with the throttle screw til I had 7% opening, and then did a tps reset. It now starts up a bit quicker and with zero throttle input. About 45F and motor was stone cold. Flex fuel was reading E78. I need it to be able to idle on its own right now so I can do a timing verification.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
Cold start is getting better. Can just reach in and press the starter and she starts up and idles. Had to take alot of fuel out of the cranking map and priming map.

Also worked on the acceleration enrichment map. Had to take about 1000% of fuel outta of that but she is snappy now.

Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Good feeling isn't it?

Close to being able to drive it?

Reactions: 1 users

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
Good feeling isn't it?

Close to being able to drive it?
It has idled from cold to full warm twice now. First time I found a small fuel leak from my -4AN line that goes to my fpr gauge port. Other than that fuel lines are all secured n stuff. I just need to find time to get it off the cribs and drive it.
Great job 👍
That is going to be one wicked ride
Thanks bud. A slight chance that it might run 8s. Will have to see.

Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
This thing is killer. Makes me very nostalgic for my first Monte.

Reactions: 1 users

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
First drive. This quick "pull" was 1/4 throttle. Almost made 1/2psi of boost.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor