1983 Big Block Monte Slow Build (Lowered Expectations)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Wonder how long that has been going on. Glad you found it and confirmed that you need more pump - ain’t that a ****, eh?

What’s the plan to keep it in fuel?

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Wonder how long that has been going on. Glad you found it and confirmed that you need more pump - ain’t that a ****, eh?

What’s the plan to keep it in fuel?

The plan is to source a bulk roll of hard line and make a new one. I'm thinking maybe nicop as it's easy to form and this doesn't have any real pressure on it unless there's something better out there?

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Nicop is a bit spendy, but a roll of aluminum is a bit cheaper. Probably go that route. How might a guy flare the end to clamp a hose over it?

Yesterday I swapped a shim from the front to the rear on the left side to kill the slight leftward drift the car had. I couldn't verify if it was fixed or not as it was a bit windy yesterday but I did get the steering wheel 99% centered now that it has a hub that isn't stripped and the wheel stays clocked the same all the time. Can't really get it bang on until the rag joint slop is gone. Also discovered that the PS leak is the reservoir I just installed, not the box. Because I love doing stuff twice.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Nicop is a bit spendy, but a roll of aluminum is a bit cheaper. Probably go that route. How might a guy flare the end to clamp a hose over it?

Yesterday I swapped a shim from the front to the rear on the left side to kill the slight leftward drift the car had. I couldn't verify if it was fixed or not as it was a bit windy yesterday but I did get the steering wheel 99% centered now that it has a hub that isn't stripped and the wheel stays clocked the same all the time. Can't really get it bang on until the rag joint slop is gone. Also discovered that the PS leak is the reservoir I just installed, not the box. Because I love doing stuff twice.
I use those brass bulkhead connectors/line splice fittings.

Put the tubing & ferrule into the female side of the fitting. Thread the male side in to set the depth of the ferrule on the tubing while crimping it in place. Once seated, remove the male portion of the fitting & carefully grind off the female shell leaving just the crimped ferrule on the tubing. Your hose can easily but pushed over the ferrule & a worm-gear clamp over the hose beyond the ferrule keeps things in place w/o issue.

Reactions: 2 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I use those brass bulkhead connectors/line splice fittings.

Put the tubing & ferrule into the female side of the fitting. Thread the male side in to set the depth of the ferrule on the tubing while crimping it in place. Once seated, remove the male portion of the fitting & carefully grind off the female shell leaving just the crimped ferrule on the tubing. Your hose can easily but pushed over the ferrule & a worm-gear clamp over the hose beyond the ferrule keeps things in place w/o issue.
Love it. That's much better than simply making a flare and throwing a clamp on.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah it is, but I saw a suggestion to try and slide a die over the end of the line and only perform the 2nd part of a double flare to get it to bubble out. I'm curious to see how that'd turn out. Time to see if I have any scrap laying around to try it on. I think I have enough compression union crap laying around to do Scoti's method too, but I wouldn't need to practice that one.

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Yeah it is, but I saw a suggestion to try and slide a die over the end of the line and only perform the 2nd part of a double flare to get it to bubble out. I'm curious to see how that'd turn out. Time to see if I have any scrap laying around to try it on. I think I have enough compression union crap laying around to do Scoti's method too, but I wouldn't need to practice that one.
Trickiest part is grinding the female portion of the union off. You just need to burn through enough to twist the remainder off w/dikes or pliers. I do it this way because the crimped ferrules are consistent & the brass stuff is cheap enough. My neighbor did the 2nd part of the double flare for this stuff. When I showed him my crimped ferrule method, he said he actually likes it better w/steel tubing, Softer materials/tubing does fold easier but the 'lip' is @ the very end of the line vs 1/4 - 3/8" up (more hose over the line after the 'bead' that helps keep it in place).

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Today I ordered a 25' roll of aluminum 3/8" tube off of Amazon to deal with the suction side of fuel line. Next I loaded up the Monte and dragged it home. Line should be here Monday, so in the meantime I plan to deal with some other stuff. I started with the upper bit of weather stripping on the passenger side. I ended up finding that the car was missing a piece of channel to hold the aft bit in place, but I found that in the trunk. The outer handle also never worked, and I found the rod laying in the bottom of the door cavity in a rat's nest. Yay. Got that rod tweaked a bit, added the missing clip, and I can now open that door from the outside. Next I turned my focus to that door's lower weather stripping. The upper aft bit was not right so I released it. I can't secure it until I install the new tumbler but I seem to be missing the linkage from that to the actuator rod dealie. So tomorrow I'll deal with the lower weather stripping on the driver's side. And try to resist the urge to vacate the garage for a massive 1 tire fire.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
So the fuel tubing showed up today, 2 days after Amazon promised. A bit irrelevant due to my laziness. I finally got with fixing the rocking chair. I'm not sure how it came to be, but somewhere in the bucket swap saga prior to me it appears something went awry.

PXL_20231116_035657220.jpg

This is a chunk of 2x2 cut in half, bolted to the floor, and mocked up where it met that busted *ss mount.

PXL_20231116_043622765.MP.jpg

Here's after I welded some air.

PXL_20231116_053429544.MP.jpg

And here's after a gusset to tie the existing mount to the new "mount" and said new mount to a new flange. This with the new seat belt mounting and the fuel delivery line will accomplish my short term objectives.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
So that fix looks a little better after the Dremel, but the lighting doesn't help much and the imperfections of the welds remain. But should be good enough to not let go.

PXL_20231116_232645572.MP.jpg

Next up is this phenomenon: a seat belt receptacle!

PXL_20231116_234209788.jpg

I gotta say, it's goofy how tall it is. And it's not as if the seat can go any higher. If I try and cram a helmet in as it is now it's gonna get real tight. This is a bench seat receptacle, it appears the bucket receptacles I snagged on here are a different (newer?) and incompatible style which sucks. Something I didn't know was a thing. But at least I now have a seat belt, so 1 less law I'm breaking every time I test this thing. I'm also super happy to be rid of the rocking chair!

PXL_20231117_041032640.jpg

Gotta punch a hole in the carpet for the passenger side seat belt receptacle and button up the passenger door, install driver side weather stripping, the entirety of the fuel supply line, and fix the power steering leak to wrap up this round of deghettofication.

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor