1983 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakes the Rat

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2016
And then this happened,,,,

The frame will be boxed in, control arm mounts reinforced, rear crossmember added, and painted. I'll probably start cutting metal this weekend.

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Guess that pickup will be the dailey for a little while longer.:)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

sh1ft

Apprentice
Feb 25, 2011
You are definitely committed now. Keep posting because you are giving me inspiration to get mine started.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
WOW !! I remember someone saying and I quote "I'm keeping the Cutlass stock until I can collect parts for a LSx swap but until then, I will be doing repairs and upgrades as I have time and money". Funny how things change-there will be no questions now, you will know exactly what you have and be proud of it when your done. There is a book by Ron Sessions - Turbo Hydra-Matic 350 Handbook which is a great book for rebuilding and hipo mods. Don't know if you have used Northern Auto but I've used them for years on my engine and trans builds - they use Transstar kits and are reasonable.

Reactions: 1 user

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I probably should be committed. I still have paying work coming in and the Cutlass is taking up room in the shop. I don't know what I'm thinking.

And I'm actually okay with that!

I guess it just proves that you're in the right place. A car nut surrounded by other car nuts! :D

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Shakes the Rat

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2016
WOW !! I remember someone saying and I quote "I'm keeping the Cutlass stock until I can collect parts for a LSx swap but until then, I will be doing repairs and upgrades as I have time and money". Funny how things change-there will be no questions now, you will know exactly what you have and be proud of it when your done. There is a book by Ron Sessions - Turbo Hydra-Matic 350 Handbook which is a great book for rebuilding and hipo mods. Don't know if you have used Northern Auto but I've used them for years on my engine and trans builds - they use Transstar kits and are reasonable.

I still want to do an LS swap but I still can't afford to do that the way I'd like. I always figured I either want a car that is actively being worked on or one that drives. If it's sitting around, waiting for me to pay for parts then I lose interest.

I haven't looked at Northern, but I will. I bought all my parts from Summit Racing. Almost everything I needed was in their kit. I just had to add a few other parts.

Shakes the Rat

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2016
I'll be jumping around for a while as I get parts or I get the urge to do something.

First off, I'm not a transmission rebuilder. I'm a bodyman/painter. That said, I love to learn new things and challenge myself. This will be the second transmission I've rebuilt. The first one was a Honda BMXA out of my brothers 2001 Civic. I did the research on it and upgraded it so we wouldn't have a repeat of the same problems his transmission is known to have. This one will be the same. I'll be upgrading the weak parts so I shouldn't have any issues down the road.

I purchased two books.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1613251890/?tag=gbody-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0895860511/?tag=gbody-20

Both are great manuals. They both have very similar info so either one will work. I bought a rebuild kit, thrust washers, shift kit, and hardened sprag from Summit racing. I bought the Summit kit because it included the bushing kit and uses Alto Red clutches. I could have used the cheaper kit with Raybestos clutches but since I used Alto clutches on my brothers Honda with good results, I'll use them here. I ordered a Transgo shift kit based on reviews I've read. I'll buy a torque convertor from Summit when I get ready to install the transmission.

The only thing I didn't order from Summit is the fifth clutch and steel for the direct clutch pack. I ordered those from Jegs since they estimated getting them out a few days sooner. We'll see. Since I won't be expecting all may parts for a couple of weeks, I'll probably move the parts table to the back of the shop and get started on the frame.

Reactions: 2 users

Shakes the Rat

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2016
I found out today the fifth clutch and steel that were supposed to be back ordered are being delivered tomorrow.

I didn't do much in the shop today. I stripped the frame down, set it on stands, and leveled it. I'm now at the point when I can actually start doing stuff to the car. Up till now its been disassembly and organizing parts. Now I can start throwing sparks, welding, and bending metal!!

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor