1984 Buick Grand National coming back to life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
tobyp said:
thanks for the props. I will encourage anyone that has an inkling of mechanical capability to try. I will encourage if you want to perform this work spend the money on a quality tool. I use all Anest Iwata equipment. In this case I am using 3 different guns. I use a supernova 1.4 for my base, a supernova 1.4 for my clear that is a special clear coat gun. I also use the Anest Airgunsa for my primer. Now that is about 1400$ in spray guns...and I got a smoking deal.. THese guns are comparable or better than what most shops carry, how ever I do not have 1/3 of that price in my equipment. So I would suggest a good gun such as a SATA. entry level Iwata or even a Divilbis. The more money you will spend the better the layout from my experience. And, dont forget how to properly set up your gun.

Ive started dabbling a little bit in paint myself. I painted a 3rd door and bumper for my truck. I ended up buying a Devilbiss 670-Plus gun. It works good for me. I got a good deal on a barely used gun....Your work in incredible. What do you use for a booth? Plastic? Or just over spray everywhere.

mhsmonte

Greasemonkey
Dec 4, 2008
Kentucky
tobyp said:
thanks for the props. I will encourage anyone that has an inkling of mechanical capability to try. I will encourage if you want to perform this work spend the money on a quality tool. I use all Anest Iwata equipment. In this case I am using 3 different guns. I use a supernova 1.4 for my base, a supernova 1.4 for my clear that is a special clear coat gun. I also use the Anest Airgunsa for my primer. Now that is about 1400$ in spray guns...and I got a smoking deal.. THese guns are comparable or better than what most shops carry, how ever I do not have 1/3 of that price in my equipment. So I would suggest a good gun such as a SATA. entry level Iwata or even a Divilbis. The more money you will spend the better the layout from my experience. And, dont forget how to properly set up your gun.

What compressor are you running? And do you run a specific style of air cleaner/filter/controller?

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
its on the ground. A little too low though lol. Need to raise the front end a bit

onto dye the dash and the rest of the interior now

before dash board

after

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Toby, I understand the part about sore arms. My pockets are deeper these days, but I don't remember running out of steam in my 20's like I do these days. I like the rims. I just picked up a free set of GTA rims from a neighbor. I went the wrong way and found a replacement rear (cheap) on EBay to replace the bent one. Are those really GNX rims, or 4 front GTA wheels? I read that McLaren spec'd really funky front and rear backsets. I think I'll polish and repaint mine black like yours. Outstanding work on the paint and body. Love the new interior; did I see a tag that said 'PEI'? I hope the proceeds from the 8.5 helped offset that cost. Looking for a Camaro now to donate the rear disc setup.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have no idea how you painted the car in a garage with all the dust in and out of the car and there is no black paint on anything in the garage....

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
I have no idea how you painted the car in a garage with all the dust in and out of the car and there is no black paint on anything in the garage....
You should see my garage. My dad paints for a living and anything left uncovered for more than a day gets covered in dust. Makes building my engine in the corner difficult :D

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Coming along nicely! Hopefully one of these days I won't be working 16 hr days and can come check it out.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Nice one piece spoiler, I like it.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
mhsmonte said:
tobyp said:

What compressor are you running? And do you run a specific style of air cleaner/filter/controller?

I run a 5HP ingersol rand that I picked up from Tractor Supply, it produces 18cfm. I run a Divilbis dessicant air dryer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor