1984 Chevy El Camino (Build Up and Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1984 Chevy El Camino

ill elaborate on the magnet...lets say you had a piece of magnet with a flat surface... you would put the flat piece across both pieces you want to be flush... the magnet will hold the two pieces flush, if you had several magnets, you could place them around the entire center and it would hold pretty good, enough for you to tack the four sides... then you just keep tacking away, as i have said before...

LSCustoms said:
ill elaborate on the magnet...lets say you had a piece of magnet with a flat surface... you would put the flat piece across both pieces you want to be flush... the magnet will hold the two pieces flush, if you had several magnets, you could place them around the entire center and it would hold pretty good, enough for you to tack the four sides... then you just keep tacking away, as i have said before...
=====================================================================================================
Thank you for explaining it further. It is in fact the license plate opening i'm referring to. Theoretically, using magnets around the opening to hold the piece of sheetmetal flush to the level of the tailgate., you can then go around and tack weld the sheetmetal piece in place...and then continue welding in the seam. Okay, gotcha now.
I have thought about using magnets in this case. But I didn't think of using them to actually help keep the sheetmetal filler piece flush with the tailgate.

I guess another concern is to keep water and moisture from permeating the welded seam and causing it to rust out in time.
What do you recommend for that?

I'm enjoying the thread so far.

Longroof79 said:
LSCustoms said:
=====================================================================================================
Thank you for explaining it further. It is in fact the license plate opening i'm referring to. Theoretically, using magnets around the opening to hold the piece of sheetmetal flush to the level of the tailgate., you can then go around and tack weld the sheetmetal piece in place...and then continue welding in the seam. Okay, gotcha now.
I have thought about using magnets in this case. But I didn't think of using them to actually help keep the sheetmetal filler piece flush with the tailgate.

I guess another concern is to keep water and moisture from permeating the welded seam and causing it to rust out in time.
What do you recommend for that?

I'm enjoying the thread so far.

its going to be one piece of metal when you r done, right after you are finished, body work it and primer or spray sealer on it, will prevent rust, just like on any other part of the vehicle, just dont leave it bare metal, you will be fine... even if you spray sealer or primer over it before you body work it, then when you are ready to do the body work, sand it back down to metal...

if you dont do good/great metal work, then when you go to do filler and prep work, eventually that will all shrink back a little and thats where you will see your original seam, etc... if you noticed in my last pic, there is no seam, its all been welded and ground flush, when it all shrinks/cures, it will do so evenly, therefore you dont notice it...

you noticed peoples handles cracking etc... because they more or less just bondo'd it in, if thats what you are worried about, not the way i get down... :D

Thanks man! I appreciate your time and advice. I'll continue to be tuned in to see how your taillights work out.. :wink:

100MEDIA36IMAG0092.jpg

Download0818111306.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor