1984 Cutlass Calais / BBO 455 build thread *UPDATED*

Status
Not open for further replies.

High Roller

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2009
Cowtown USA, MN
Re: 1984 Cutlass Calais / BBO 455 build thread THE BEAST LIV

Cool, or skip the Torker inake and go with the new RPM, and upgrade to set of CAT rods, and CP, or Diamond pistons.

STL84Calais

Greasemonkey
Feb 5, 2009

they make an RPM for a BBO now? might have to look into that...

83hurstguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Kansas City

STL84Calais said:
Well time to revive a dead thread! :bump:

Where do I start...
Oh, I know. I broke it!
I put a hole in the #3 piston. Damned if I know how, not a full hole but a half moon punch. Can't figure it out, it was either predetonation or something got into the cylinder. Either way, it still runs, and will still scratch second gear but on 7 cylinders!

So its trashed. :blam:

Good news though, its tax time! :banana:
That means another complete teardown and rebuild, this time though, its go big or go home. I mean, forged internals, balanced motor, big cam, headers, reworked heads (sticking with iron, but these damn things will outflow edelbrocks when I'm done), headers, torker II single plane intake, etc. Basically the works. This time I'm shooting for 600+ horse strip motor!

Bummer on the motor. Did a valve get the piston? It's not uncommon for machine shops to leave the guides too tight on Oldsmobile heads, and when they heat up they'll start to seize the valves, especially on the center cylinders that run hotter with the exhaust valves next to each other.

You may want to root cause your failure so the issue doesn't repeat itself in the future.

600 HP is a bit ambitious for an iron headed combo, though not impossible. The amount of porting and machine shop costs make the Edelbrocks more attractive. I'd recommend you get Bill Trovato's book, if you haven't already. It's good reading for building high power Olds motors successfully. Good luck!

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota

83hurstguy said:
STL84Calais said:
Well time to revive a dead thread! :bump:

Where do I start...
Oh, I know. I broke it!
I put a hole in the #3 piston. Damned if I know how, not a full hole but a half moon punch. Can't figure it out, it was either predetonation or something got into the cylinder. Either way, it still runs, and will still scratch second gear but on 7 cylinders!

So its trashed. :blam:

Good news though, its tax time! :banana:
That means another complete teardown and rebuild, this time though, its go big or go home. I mean, forged internals, balanced motor, big cam, headers, reworked heads (sticking with iron, but these damn things will outflow edelbrocks when I'm done), headers, torker II single plane intake, etc. Basically the works. This time I'm shooting for 600+ horse strip motor!

Bummer on the motor. Did a valve get the piston? It's not uncommon for machine shops to leave the guides too tight on Oldsmobile heads, and when they heat up they'll start to seize the valves, especially on the center cylinders that run hotter with the exhaust valves next to each other.

You may want to root cause your failure so the issue doesn't repeat itself in the future.

600 HP is a bit ambitious for an iron headed combo, though not impossible. The amount of porting and machine shop costs make the Edelbrocks more attractive. I'd recommend you get Bill Trovato's book, if you haven't already. It's good reading for building high power Olds motors successfully. Good luck!

were can i find this book?

my86442

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2011
Nashua, Iowa

heres a few pics of the 455 olds i built a couple years back. It was originally Red but got painted blue before i got it. Its sitting in a 71 Monte right now. :twisted:

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 943
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 930
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 926
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 940
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 932

my86442

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2011
Nashua, Iowa

a few pics of the goodies i added too it :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 2,023
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 2,030
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 2,038
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 2,029
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 2,029

STL84Calais

Greasemonkey
Feb 5, 2009

Ok, so here's the new plan:

-Gonna pull the #3 piston.
-Hone the cylinder to remove imperfections just in case.
-Replace piston with factory spec. piston (other pistons are OEM original low budget built).
-Install a little bigger cam.
-Fix fuel line problem with 1/2 inch line.
-Enjoy the car (I can't stand not driving it anymore).
-Accumulate parts for 600+ horsepower 468 nitrous build.

The 468 build will take place over an upcoming winter once all parts are accounted for. For now I think I'm gonna try to fix what's broke and enjoy the car this summer. With any luck I'll be driving the car by the end of the month. :mrgreen:

STL84Calais

Greasemonkey
Feb 5, 2009
cuttyedit.jpg

:cry: Loaded her on the trailer last week and headed for the shop...
zdbq.jpg

Got her down to the shop and started pulling it all apart...
0slu.jpg

m49m.jpg

3qra.jpg

Everything looks normal so far...
uh5j.jpg

Something seems to be missing from the car!
ugq.jpg

I think I know why I lost compression in #3. Epically broken piston! This is what a cast aluminum piston does in a big block past 6000RPM. (I think the dyno guy killed it honestly.) :oops:
km.jpg

Bottom end looks fine though, and the cylinder isn't scarred (the hone marks are still in it!), so a minor freshen up is in order with a new piston and she'll be back on the road!
vjo5.jpg

I'll keep everyone updated on the progress of getting her back on the road, and then the 700 horse nitrous 468 build! The next build will make 550-or-so horsepower, then I plan on a 150-200 shot of NOS. :shock:

STL84Calais

Greasemonkey
Feb 5, 2009
Another update:

Picked this up a couple weeks ago...

GM 8.5in 10 bolt from a 84 Hurst Olds:
67jd.jpg

6omm.jpg

For what I paid for it, I had to snatch it, couldn't pass it up. That will go in with the next motor, the 7.5in will stay under there for now. Before its ready to roll it will get 30 spline Moser axles, C clip eliminators, welded axle tubes, and Detroit TruTrac carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor