1984 monte carlo ss build

Status
Not open for further replies.

two90west

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2011
chicago
ok so my dad convinced me to go with the original paint and decals so im set to go in the paint booth in the next couple of weeks . now i need to spruce up the 305 h.o. the first thing is cap wires and plugs. next is new valve covers and air cleaner i want to keep it original but with just a little flare. but if you chevy guy's have any suggestions let me know. here is a little vid i did of the progress http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KUxKPgbncg

two90west

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2011
chicago
does anyone have a set of these for sale i need them asap

Attachments

• wheels 2.jpg
    wheels 2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,239

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
two90west said:
can any chevy guy's who are familiar with the 305 ho give me any suggestions, much appreciated

Suggestions on what, the question you asked about roller rockers was answered

Blueboy84

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2010
Northern Kentucky
two90west said:
can any chevy guy's who are familiar with the 305 ho give me any suggestions, much appreciated

Assuming your is still mostly or all original (with the computer system intact)...

As far as plugs and wires...stick with original delcos. Mine never really ran right with anything else. Accel makes a nice in-cap, high output coil (p/n 140003) and ignition module (p/n 35363). Any dress up kit designed for the SBC (valve covers, air cleaner, etc) from Summit or Jegs will work. I believe you need the drop base for the air cleaner. You could also just strip and repaint your original one... they look good if freshened up and do a better job inducting cold air than the aftermarket assemblies.

The biggest performance increase to the 305 would come from headers and a nice 2 1/2" exhaust. I have Edelbrock TES headers (although they are no longer made). I believe Hooker also made a emissions legal header (if you need to be concerned with inspections and such). Keep an eye out in the for sale section and CL. If there are no worries about emission laws, your possibilities increase substantially.

I went with the Vodoo 60101K cam and lifter kit, a double roller timing chain, new stamped steel roller tip rockers (Summit, 1.5) and new z28 type valve springs. I also had my carb rebuilt to spec by http://www.customrebuiltcarbs.com. Contact the owner Phil and tell what you are looking for... they were very reasonable and did it quickly. From the time I shipped it to him to the time I got it back was less than a couple of weeks.
If budget allows, you could bolt on some aftermarket heads for even more HP... At that point though, it really makes more sense to look at swapping in a 350.

two90west

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2011
chicago
thanks a bunch yeah i'm gonna stay original for now as far as the the engine if it ain't broke don't fix it. i really need wheels wheels wheels

Attachments

• wheels 2.jpg
    wheels 2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 610

two90west

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2011
chicago
finally got done with the body now i can focus on minor things it needs a new exhaust from the cat back, i'm thinking of one quite muffler and one 44 flowmaster, needs new headliner and some suspension work on the front. i got six months till the cruise weather comes back so i will do one thing at a time but the exhaust is first. here is a vid of the car at the detail shop let me know what you think guys. one more gbody back on the road and not at the crush yard.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLBogOrjeOk

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
listen to your SS!!! it is SCREAMING,"I NEED A LS1/BLAZER SPINDLE BIG BRAKE ALL ARROUND DISC UPGRADE!!! lol,seriously would benefit from it and since you are going to tackling the "suspension-matinance"???? the rocs would appreciate it! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor